water valve shut off

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by blkpanther, Apr 22, 2008.

1. blkpanther

blkpanther LawnSite Member

problem with sprinkler system ,when water valve turned on.intermatic timer.when water valve is open sprinklers turn on,even when switch is off.how do i fix this problem?ray.

2. WalkGood

WalkGood LawnSite Bronze Member

Depending on your skills this may not be a simple homeowner repair.

First, turn off the clock/timer. If the sprinklers STILL spray water then there probably is an issue with one or more sprinkler valves. The timer may or may not be OKAY.

If the sprinklers are spraying water with the clock/timer off then unplug the clock/timer and remove the battery. Did the sprinklers stop spraying now?

The next step depends on how familiar you are with irrigation systems.

3. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Need a tad more info here before we embarrass ourselves.
    Do all zones try to come on? If it's one zone, a rock in the valve could be holding it open. You do not have a "timer" that says "pro", but I think the
    problem is hydraulic.

4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

....and does he have an indexing valve (Intermatic timer is a clue here) ~ We need photos.

5. Mike Leary

Yup, I've gone on service calls that had indexing Intermatic "timers";
    one tends to know the rest of the system is HO or bottom feed work.
    Now, if we had a Imperial clock, I'd be interested.

6. WalkGood

WalkGood LawnSite Bronze Member

7. bblawncare

bblawncare LawnSite Member

The majority of our systems in S FL are indexing valves with either Intermatic timers or K-Rain timers. Sounds like it could be a master valve with a bad diaphragm. That would be my slightly inexperienced theory. Lake Worth is just down the road from me...

8. blkpanther

blkpanther LawnSite Member

to water the lawn,i have to turn on the water valve .one zone will come on.turn water off by hand.then turn on again and water the next zone.4 zones in all.have to turn water on and off 4 times to water lawn.does not matter if switch is in off ,on ,or auto.the timer works,but cant put on because i have to shut the water valve after use.

9. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Fix the electric valve.

10. Mike Leary

After that, replace the clock, it's junk anyways.