1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

waterfall problem

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by rob m, May 22, 2001.

1. rob m

rob m LawnSite Member

I'm in the process of installing a fair-sized pool, stream and waterfall. The land has a natural gentle 30' slope that we followed with the liner and stones, terminating in a 8' round and 2.5' deep pool. I started with a 1450 gph pump with a 1" line but upgraded to a 2900 gph for more flow. The problem is I can't get the water to actually FALL off a rock- it goes under, around and thru but not over. What am I doing wrong?

FIREMAN LawnSite Senior Member
    from n.j.

what pond kit did you use????
  3. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Is the rock sloped downstream?
  4. rob m

rob m LawnSite Member

A. I didn't use a standard pond kit
    B. Yes, the rocks are sloped downstream
  5. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

I read a tip in an install book that suggested making a groove on the bottom side of the rock, parallel to the lip of the rock. This is supposed to make the water drop off of the rock. Also, use foam to seal the back/bottom of the rock to force the water over the rock. Aquascape has black foam now.
  6. aquascape

aquascape Member

Use foam under and around the sides of the rock to force the water over the stone instead of going under/around. This should take care of it.

7. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

Ditto what AS said.
  8. dtm

dtm LawnSite Member

Using foam is the only way to go. It is very easy to use just don't get it on your hands because it will take forever to get off. You can buy it at any hardware store use the tripple expanding foam. but the best stuff to use is aquascapes black waterfall foam. We sell it to retail over the net or you can buy it wholesale thru aquascape designs
  9. rob m

rob m LawnSite Member

Thanks for the tips- I used the foam and fine tuned the rocks a little and everything is cool, no leaks and cascades fine. Fish are in and everybody's happy!