Waterfront w/ Hardscape & Walls

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by randallwise, Nov 13, 2005.

1. randallwise

randallwise LawnSite Member

I have some before and almost-after pics, plus progress shots. Budget went high, so planting was scrubbed for this year. In addition, we still have to mortar the joints of the FS.

Please take a look at my slide show...

http://www.dotphoto.com/Go.asp?l=randallwise&P=&AID=2501556&Show=Y

Waterfront project w/ boulder walls, lots of flagstone, etc. Feedback is, of course, always welcome.

RSW

2. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

Wow that was a large project... how long did it take? What was the final invoice? What was material cost? Did you use mortor b/t any stones? Do you own a kanga or just rent? Also, I love your truck and trailer... extremely eye catching, uniform, and professional.

3. Boycea

Boycea LawnSite Senior Member

On the front walk, did you go over the existing concrete walkway with the flagstone, or did you rip it up?

4. randallwise

Project took all summer due to delays w/ the county. We had to move to other projects while we waited on the county. You know how it goes, we can't just sit and do nothing!

We will mortar in the joints of flagstone w/ a joint stabilizer compound in the spring. It got cold fast, so we're done for the season. Still a few things to finish up once it warms up again.

We own a Boxer that is in the shop for service and they gave me the Kanga until my Boxer is finished.

On the front walk, we ripped up the concrete and did a new walk altogether. We exteded their deck to meet with the flagstone at grade. Before, there was a step down and then back up to the deck.

RSW

5. northeastpropertymgmt

northeastpropertymgmt LawnSite Member

looks really nice. good job

6. Lawnworks

from usa

What attachments do you have for your boxer? What hp? I am thinking about getting the diesel version in the spring w/ a harley rake and an auger.

7. zim bob the landscaper

zim bob the landscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

thats a big a** project do u get alot of those jobs a year?

8. randallwise

I've got the big Boxer w/ the 26hp Perkins Diesel. Honestly, that thing is the most productive piece of equipment I've used. I'm to the point that I just sub out big site excavation, and then use the boxer for everything else.

The attachments I own are: auger w/ two planter bits, pallet forks, tree boom, ripper, leveler/carry-all, 4-in-1 bucket. I rent trencher, pipe puller, and other attachments when I need them.

Before you buy the harley rake, try the cultivator. I think it's much better than the harley rake as it actually pushes the rock and debris below the surface and leaves a nice seed bed. Much more effective and not as messy. We rent that for a lot of jobs.

Let me know what else you'd like to know. I've had a demo on all of the mini's and the Boxer was the best. Not perfect, but the strongest and most versitle. Only thing I don't like about it is the hydros. Not as smooth as the others, but more powerful, I think.

RSW

9. Lawnworks

from usa

Yeah I have demoed/rented just about every one also. The only set back of a mini skid is it cannot pick up a pallet of sod like a bobcat can, but I think otherwise it is a more useful machine for landscape renovation... maybe not for total lawn installs though. What did you end up paying for your machine? Have you ever layed the dingo rolls w/ your machine? You think the cutivator is better than the harley? From what I have seen, I thought the harley would do a little better as far as getting everything level. One thing I love about the mini skids is there weight. You don't need a 10,000 lbs trailer to haul the thing. I wonder what the life expectancy of the diesel model is.

Oh and one other thing... I love the TX425 bucket control... just like a tractor or CAT bobcat. Too bad boxer does not have this.

10. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

That area is beautiful. I love the mountains and out west. The rock work is outstanding wish I could do that down here, we just don't have the materials. I have never used a Boxer or a Kanga, but I do have a Bobcat mini which is great, I only have a bucket but borrow attachments from my buddies.