1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Watering a soccer field!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by drsogr, Jun 20, 2005.

1. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a customer who wants a soccer field sodded. When I sold it, I explained it would need watered and so on. Well I come to realize that she plans on running 350 feet of hose to water this. I am think there would be no pressure at the end for the sprinkler, after that much hose. Is there anything that would help boost the Gpm at the end of the hose?

I thought of running 100 feet of hose to a 1-1/2" pipe that is 250 feet long and then putting spickets off of that to water from. My thoughts were that the 250 feet of pipe would allow the water to flow through with out as much resistance, giving me more water. What do you guys think??
  2. kerdog

kerdog LawnSite Member

Hey drsogr----

There are a lot of unknown variables.......like..

How many hose end sprinklers are going to be used at the same time?
    Off the same spigot? same hose?
    What kind of hose end sprinklers, how much gpm will they put out at what pressure?
    What's the pressure at the supply?

It can be done with one or two hoses, just someone has to 'move' the sprinklers around, constantly. It was done a few years ago, at some small soccer fields, for a kids league. Hoses stretched a long, long way, out to the fields, and used impact type sprinklers. Just a pain, someone going up there every hour, or whatever to move everything around, on the days it was watered.
    Eventually, the league was able to get a dedicated meter installed, and supply was ran to the fields, and spigots stubbed up at/near each field. That reduced the length of hose needed, and could water more at the same time. There were multiple (small) fields.
    I think they could get by, with using hoses, as long as not too many sprinklers are used off the same supply/hose, at the same time. Try using bigger diameter hoses. Hope this helped.....

See ya----kerdog
  3. heavenlydeere

heavenlydeere LawnSite Member

there are several factors to remember, 1. friction loss ; the amount of pressure lost due to the friction caused as it flows through the pipe, hose , etc...2. the size of hose or pipe that feeds the 350 ft run, how much water volume do you have to work with? 3. how much pressure is on the main line,or how many gallons per min does the incoming supply line flow? i think maybe a secondary pump in the middle might be the answer but be careful not to get a pump that has a higher gpm than your supply line or you might pull a vacuum on the supply line and damage the pump ! if you go with larger hose like 1'' or bigger, friction loss will reduce somewhat ! i think that your supply line pressure is the most important factor in your question , if it is too weak then you do have problems , another option would be a holding tank with a pump! oh yeah make sure you use suction hose in between your supply line and your pump! good luck my man!!!
  4. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

Well I took 400 ft. of house and did some tests. at 400 ft. it took 74 seconds to fill up a 5 gallon bucket. At 300 ft. it took 62 seconds to fill up a 5 gallon bucket. At 100 ft. it took 58 seconds to fill up a 5 gallon bucket. The PSI at the house was 65 PSI. This is at my house though. The place I am doing this at is at a school, which I am positive has bigger supply lines. The one thing that I did notice though is their pressure at the spigot was only 45 PSI. I wonder why theirs would be smaller, but have larger supply lines?
  5. kerdog

kerdog LawnSite Member

The difference in pressure is due to how far/near from the source; the water tower or pumping station. The school may have larger dia. supply, due to the volume needed. May have to just 'try' it with the hoses, and see what happens. The 45 psi doesn't help, that's kinda low. The situation I related to you in the earlier post, was also at a school. I don't know what kinda pressure we had, I'm sure it was better than 45, though.
    I "know", that's a lotta hose needed, to stretch out, and then roll up when done! To run some temp. piping might help, I'd try the hose first, go from there. Depends on how many gpm's trying to use at one time, maybe try to keep gpm down. Just gonna mean movin' that hose around. See ya----

6. heavenlydeere

take two pumps that flow the same , one has a 1'' outlet and the other a 2'', given they both pump the same gpm at the same psi , the smaller line will always have more pressure than the larger, and since you have a larger supply you should have enough volume, maybe all you need to do is go smaller with your hose and this should give you more psi at the end than at the supply! i would try and just see what you come up with, another solution might be , going 300' or so with the same size supply line then come down to the size hose you need , that would give you enough volume down the line with the least amount of friction loss , i think now it becomes a question of volume and gpm and not so much psi!
  7. heavenlydeere

sorry kerdog dont mean to keep saying the same thing , you obviously are a faster typer than i am , i think we both agree at least!
  8. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry, that's not correct. The smaller line, or pump at the same flow (GPM) will have less pressure available at the end of the line than the larger. What it will have is more velocity. It will be going faster in the smaller, but it will have less pressure. Kind of like putting your finger on the end of a hose. You are increasing the velocity of the water. There are only two ways to increase pressure in a line - raise the source of the water or add a pump. Unless one of these is incorporated in the line, there is no way to end up with more pressure at the end than what he began with at the source.

If anything, he should run the larger pipe the entire distance and then he will have more pressure left to work with. Run the supply from the water source in say 11/2" to one side of the field and put two bibbs splitting the length of the field into thirds, then get a Nelson Rain Train and water it that way. Saves moving the hose so often.

Jerry R
  9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Yep. The pressure will only be as good as the smallest section (dia.) of hose that is hooked up. If I hook up 1/2" garden hose, then that is my end result (less with distance). If I run that to a 3/4" or 1" line, I will have x amount. If I run that to a 3" or 4" line, what would I have then? It would be a trickle. All I can say, is that it will be some SLOWWW watering.
  10. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

traveling sprinkler, problem might be solved