Watering a steep hill.

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by DeepGreenLawn, Jul 1, 2008.

1. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

I advised a customer to water once a week for about an hour. She then came straight back with the question "what about watering a few minutes everyday?" I was a little dumbfounded. I answered her question and told her why.

Turns out the husband gets mad because if she waters longer than just a few minutes they just watch the water run down the road because of the hill they are on. Is it still as beneficial to keep these water practices (deep and infrequent)? Like she said, it seems once the top is wet the rest will run off and not have a chance to soak into the ground.

2. JDUtah

JDUtah LawnSite Silver Member
    from UT

Have her water each zone for a couple/few minutes. Then restart the cycle right after the first one has ended. Do it 3-4 times? The principle is watering only a couple minutes and switching zones to let that water absorb, then coming back and watering a couple more should let you get the deep and infrquent results where runnoff is a problem.

3. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

can you program the system to do this or does she have to sit there and do it manually?

4. JDUtah

JDUtah LawnSite Silver Member
    from UT

Depends on the timer.. most let you program 3 or 4 start times... OR they have 3 or so different programs that you set independently of each other.