Watering after install

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by eggy, May 24, 2001.

1. eggy

eggy LawnSite Senior Member

On commercial accounts how do you guys/gals go about watering after plant install.... ..do you show up and do it for so long or is it their reponsiablity?

2. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

Most contracts say until established, or for so many days but remember it's you money on the line. We have gone back many times during the summer to water plants we put in last fall, just to keep from losing and replacing them at the end of our one year warrentee.

3. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Couldn't the return trips be avoided by selling them a sprinkler system?

4. greens1

greens1 LawnSite Senior Member

I take care of any trees that I plant, too much work and hassle if they die. I usually use tree bags, fill them on my way to the job site and pick them up on my way home.

Jim L

5. Jason_S

Jason_S LawnSite Member

We guarantee out trees and shrubs for 1 year. We do the first watering, and instruct the homeowner how to do it from that point on. If a plant dies from neglegence in watering, we DON'T cover it, since we told them exactally when and how long to water for.

6. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

Hello,

Watering is a big problem when guranteeing, thats for sure.

I do not work to many commercial sites, but if I were too, I think I would include a watering contract into the job if I were to guarantee the install.

As for determining if a plant died because of no water, that is a tough one. Every one will tell you that they've been watering according to how you told them, but we all know how far from the truth that is. This seems to be/always will be one of those shady areas when it comes to gurantees.

steveair

7. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

Here's the problem I see, You plant the tree water it in giving it loving care, your homeowner who you've giving very explicit instructions on how to water and how offen, they might remember for the first week, maybe for the first month, but for the whole year...... sorry not likely. Do they know the differance between drought and too much water, ground conditions,soil types, every site is different, do you give them instructions written for each type of plant? How about sandy soils?
    If some of you planted a tree in my house and it died you would replace it a lawyer would see to that:) even if you gave me care instructions and I didn't follow them I could make it look like I did or your instructions weren't written to my soils or the plants that you installed.

Some here have asked about irragation systems do you really want a home owner watering his plants with out knowing what they really need or maybe he thinks they need more water (because they are turning brown from too much water from rains and the system) so he turns the system on longer.........

As a good contractor I just go out and replace the plants, sometimes it's over a year later might be even 2 years later, One thing about that is they remember me because I did it even if my guarantee is up.

Customer service is what we are about, with out them we don't eat:)Stopping by to see how the plants are doing in times of drought or heavy wet periods makes a differance, even if it's a drive by. Your name is on your truck right?

8. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

We generally just set the start times on the irrigation control clock.