Watering at night

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by scruff33, Apr 19, 2010.

1. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

If we are not in a total ban around here you only option is late evening, night and early morning watering.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. cgaengineer

Illegals come to GA to work illegally for irrigation contractors installing irrigation systems that we cannot use because we have too many illegals.

3. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Not a thesis ..... well established information on soils and irrigation scheduling that you will not find in your "ortho" joke book. Let's review the questionable or downright incorrect statements.

Wrong. Watering at noon not only increases evaporative losses, but in some areas where wind increases throughout the day, you also run the risk of increasing losses due to wind drift.

Beyond the fact you are just pulling an AR out of thin air, why even state an AR when using an oscillating sprinkler? You don't actually believe you have good DU with this sprinkler ... do you?

Once again, pulling AR out of thin air.

This is just plain ignorant.

4. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Well, if water is that scarce in your area, then you should not be installing high water use, regionally inappropriate landscapes ... now should you?

Now back on topic .... I feel the biggest problem with fungus and night watering is spore dispersal. Chances are your turf is going to get wet at night (depending on where you live) even if you don't irrigate or it doesn't rain. That said .... if night is your only window of opportunity to irrigate, then you really have no choice ..... do you?

5. ajslands

ajslands LawnSite Silver Member

3/4"-1" per week is out of thin air?!!!

Weird! :laughing: :laughing:
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. cgaengineer

Yeah rocks and cactus...great idea. We are in GA not the desert. I'm pretty sure bermuda grass is appropriate for our area since even with little or no water it still survives but it looks its best with .5 inches per week minimum.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. cgaengineer

He would argue with you just to argue.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. ajslands

ajslands LawnSite Silver Member

Who me or him?
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. cgaengineer

Him...kiril
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Yes .... it is.

Ignoring site dependent variables ..... tell me ...what is your current ETo.