Watering between side walk and street

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by txirrigation, Oct 17, 2010.

1. txirrigation

txirrigation LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

We have regs that prevent us from using spray heads on "parkways." Also if drip is not it's own zone you will not pass inspection.

Thanks for all the advice I just wish there was an easier way, it is a major PITA.

2. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

an engineer that i have done lots of work for was originally english, (U S citizen since 1952 and he makes that known) and he has never lost his strong accent.

he calls these strips parkways but emphasizes that parkway is a term, like pathway (sidewalk) and is more regional than proper.

–noun
    a broad thoroughfare with a dividing strip or side strips planted with grass, trees, etc.
    Chiefly new york State and Western New England . a strip of grass, sometimes planted with trees or shrubs, between a sidewalk and curb.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Noun 1. parkwayparkway - a wide scenic road planted with trees; "the riverside drive offers many exciting scenic views"
    drive
    road, route - an open way (generally public) for travel or transportation

3. WalkGood

WalkGood LawnSite Bronze Member

In this part of New York, no one calls that grass strip between sidewalk and curb a "parkway".

The "parkway" we refer to is the major roadways where commercial plates are not allowed to drive. Southern State Parkway. Northern State Parkway. Grand Central Parkway. Although we just say "Southern State" or "Grand Central". The major road for any vehicle is "Da L-I-E", or "Da Expressway".

Just sayin'.

4. I call it the grass strip between the curb and sidewalk myself.

The city in most anywhere usually controls that area. In Richardson, TX it extends 2'on the other side of the sidewalk as well if memory serves me correct.

5. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

if richardson tx is like most communities, they claim 2' beyond for utilities easement.

the property owner in most cases is responsible for upkeep and liability and pays taxes on the square footage of the property but the municipality claims rights over the same area.......almost like a stewardship it is :confused:

6. Cloud9Landscapes

Cloud9Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ca

Where did I mention drip?

I don't know about the whole terminology, around here most people call it the parkway. Looking at the various definitions looks like most of you are right. Allot of old fogies in the irrigation industry designated their strip nozzles as "parkway"strips so that's where I get part of my info. I mentioned the term at a family get-together and one of my relatives wasn't familiar with the term, so I imagine it is a regional term like 1idejim said.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2010
  7. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

I've always called it a "park strip", my g/f , who is originally from Ohio, calls it a "curb lawn" or a "tree lawn", and I had a customer who came here from Maryland, I think, call it a "verge"....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tree_lawn

Last edited: Oct 19, 2010
  8. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

Anyone here from Akron to explain why they call it a "devil strip"?

[​IMG]

9. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah I'm with Peter

I actually never use the word parkway. But then again I didn't know that was the proper term

10. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Parkway or parking strip here. Or "that pain in the azz area that wastes a ton of water".