Watering customers lawn

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Toocool100, Oct 12, 2005.

1. Toocool100

Toocool100 LawnSite Member

When I go in and rototil, then seed and fertilize the lawn, the lawn needs to be properly watered. I can't depend on rain every day for the next few weeks. What should be done about this? Should i be using the customers house hose to supply the ground with water?

2. Is it really up to you to water there lawn ?

3. Toocool100

Well, if the lawn is watered properly more grass will germinate and the lawn will overall be healthyer. So wouldn't it be better if the lawn was watered?

Or based by what your saying, should i just tell them to water their own lawn and keep myself out of it alltogether?

4. I agree, but are they paying you to water, thats the question.

5. Toocool100

let me expand, i havn't started my business up yet, so im putting all my options together. Lets just say they are paying me to water, that would be money towards me for standing there with a hose etc. Now, the water bill. Do i push the water bill charges onto them? should i?

6. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

I believe that it is the owners job to water the lawn unless you are charging to do it. Unless you do you are only charging for the work done.

7. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Tell THEM to water the lawn every day for 2 weeks and every other day after that.
    Never water the lawn for them!

8. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Been doing this over 15 years, can only recall one customer ever asking for us to water. I see it as a non-issue.

9. LHlandscaping

LHlandscaping LawnSite Member
    from PA/ SW

Funny you should ask. I am currently suing a customer for non payment over this issue. I hydroseeded 3 acres on July 13th, and to date he has not ONCE watered his lawn and therefore feels that the poor results due to his stupidity is contingent on payment.

On my contracts I state that I am not responsible to water unless the customer elects me to at a rate of $200.00 per visit. I even purchase a sprinkler for them after I spray the area. Make sure your contract states that you are NOT responsible for watering, washouts, or other acts of God. On a small job a few hundred dollars will not matter but once you start 10,000 square feet and over you can loose your butt in a hurry due to many circumstances beyond your control.

10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

1. If you're rototilling the lawn to seed, you're making a BIG mistake.
    2. There isn't enough time in the WORLD to go over and "water the lawn".
    3. How big is the area? You can go to home cheapo and get a few of those timers. Hook them up to hoses that come out from a splitter.