Watering hole for deer and birds?

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by haulinggrass, Jul 12, 2006.

1. haulinggrass

haulinggrass LawnSite Member

I just put in a pond for wildlife. It is in 1/2 sun, 30" deep 7' wide and 10' long.
    I used a rubber liner. What will I need to do to keep if from turning green? Thanks

2. Rockriverfish

Rockriverfish LawnSite Member

If this is purely a watering hole, then the green water won't bother the wildlife at all. I just hope the deer don't puncture the liner with there hooves. If there is a filter or at least a pump for circulation, then it will probably turn green for a few weeks, but should clear over time as the pond balances out. There are chemicals available for the control of algae, but may not be the best for a watering hole. Another option if you have a pump on the pond is the addition of a uv clarifier. This will help keep the suspended algae (green water) under control, but does nothing to combat algae growing on the liner/rocks/etc.

3. Waterscapes By Design

Waterscapes By Design LawnSite Member

put a couple of "scum suckers" down there......I think the correct name for them is pacostamus.

they really help out in that department, maybe put a rock or just some type of a board or anything down there to give them some shade and shelter, a nice bio-box would do. You can get one for around $70.

If its in the sun at all, green algae will always be a factor, the less obstacles ya have in the pond the easier it would be to come out once a month and just pull it out, most likely it will be green strands of algae you will grow.

4. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

Barley pellets work wonders but it is a little late in the seasons. A green water chemical treatment would work but you need a spot to put some fine filter floss material to catch the coagulate algae. A good phosphate remover would help too.