watering in the afternoon.

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Jeffd1979, Apr 19, 2004.

1. Jeffd1979

Jeffd1979 LawnSite Member

I know it is best to water in the morning buy unfortunatly with my job i have left the house by 5 am so i really have no time to do it then.. I get home at 4 pm.. is it ok to water then or should i wait till about 7?

Also how much would you recommend watering? Has not been raining here much and i have been watering 2 times a week for about 15 min on each area..
  2. BW4486

BW4486 LawnSite Member

I would wait till atleast 5 or 5:30
  3. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

I would get a timer for your sprinkler, about $5.00 or $10.00, and water in the morning; 15 minutes if every day, about 45 minutes if only twice a week. Deep watering promotes strong, deep roots.
  4. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

One way or another, if you can water in the morning it will allow the grass to dry out during the day, which is important for it's health. I wouldn’t think that we can honestly tell you how long to water because that figure is dependent upon a number of factors, some obvious important ones being how hot the days are as well as the precipitation rate of the sprinkler(s).

A sprinkler head that puts out 2.5 gallons per minute obviously puts out only half the water of a 5.0 gpm head. You need to know how much water is going onto your lawn, and the best way for this is the ol’ tuna tin. Put a tuna tin, or open container, out in your lawn where you’re watering, and after 15 minutes measure the depth of the water. Times that by 4 and get how many inches per hour. Try to average about 2” per week during warm days and up to 3” during hot days, less during cool periods. At 2” per week you could water 4 mornings at .5” for X minutes… depending on how long it takes your sprinkler to fill that tuna tin a half-inch.

It’s a bummer having to baby sit a sprinkler and pull a hose around. I wonder if one of those tractor sprinklers that straddle the hose would work for you? Just start it in the morning and let it follow its course and shut off automatically.
  5. blaze347

blaze347 LawnSite Member

You dont want to water in the day or evening. Watering in the day is a waste of water and money, upwards to 50% of the water will never get to the ground due to evaporation. If you water in the evening your grass will not dry out before the temperatures drop at night and you risk developing a fungus/mold problem with your yard. The best time to water is between 5am and 10am.
  6. mowhigh

mowhigh LawnSite Member
    from Dallas

Blaze is right on both counts. Go with a timer, or water on weekends; weekly watering (or 2X/week max) will promote deeper roots (which will eventually allow you even longer intervals between watering!)
  7. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

In Charlotte you probably have clay soil like we do in North Georgia. If that is the case, you need to modify one of the guidelines on watering. It is normally best to deliver 1 inch of water to your lawn once per week. However, our clay soils only hold so much water and will be prone to runoff. For that reason, delivering 1/2 inch twice per week works well.

Do whatever you can to avoid watering in the afternoon or evening, because in either case the lawn will likely contain moisture when the dew forms overnight. When a lawn stays moist for 12 hours or more, diseases can develop quite easily.