watering policy

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Jul 16, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

my lawn mowing contracts are currently 3 pages long. just when you think u have covered everything, you find out you're wrong. i imagine by next season, they will be 6-7 pages long. the matter at hand- WATERING. last friday, we had a 10 hr downpour. we got probably 4" of rain. then, during the week, we had a couple of short, but very heavy rains. i have people that still water thier grass when it rains. i also have people who don't follow my watering reccomendations. i just dumped a guy last week, i've told him repeatedly how I WANT IT WATERED. he don't listen. his neighbor told me he waters 3 times a day. this is sick. the lawn is like a sponge, nutsedge and weeds everywhere in the lawn and beds. i'm leaving ruts. gone, no mas, done. it's hard enough to deal with the elements, and now i have customers watering 3 times a day, while i battle thier weeds and nutsedge. nah. todays events- i pulled up at a customers house at 9 am. it was obvious the sprinklers just went off. the yard was soaked. i said screw it, i put the encore in 5th, and went on a sliegh ride. rutted the hell out of the lawn, left a 15 ft skid mark in the back, tore 2 chunks out of the front, and, wiped out the kids swingset. trying to turn easy enough around the swingset, i slid, hit the side of the old wooden swingset, and down it went. the guy came out upset. i aint paying for nothing, and in fact, may send a bill for having to clean the wet grass off my mower. next year this will be adressed in the contract. #1- YOU MUST FOLLOW MY WATERING INSTRUCTIONS. #2- IF YOU DON'T, I PULL UP AND IT'S WET, I STILL GET PAID, but i don't cut, at my discretion.#3-i will not be responsible for damage to your property as the result of improper watering. #4- if i have to cut it twice cus it's wet, you pay double, 3 times=tripple. #5- if i have to clean the mower, cus your grass was wet, you pay extra. i'm sick and tired, of being sick and tired. does anyone have a policy on how thier clients must water?
  2. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I can't imagine booby why people don't get along better with you.
  3. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Welcome back WHINYBOY :cry: :cry: :cry:
  4. Big Lew

Big Lew LawnSite Member
    from pa

He's at it again :D
  5. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 LawnSite Senior Member

i don't force them to water, but i understand your frustation.
  6. deereman

deereman LawnSite Senior Member
    from USA

youve got to be kidding? :cry:
  7. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I posted the same topic a month or so back... most responses I got were that I should not care what the lawn looks like when I'm done and just mow after the sprinklers or even while they are on.

I still have 2 customers, that after having been told, asked, sent letters, and left notices on the door, their lawns still get watered 7 days a week. I give up, I just let the ruts happen. If they don't give a $&@! then neither do I.

I have another that asks me for advice on programming their controler (2 homes). I advise to the number of days per week and duration taking into account the heat. Do they listen? NO. They ask me for the advice and even 2 weeks later the lawns are burned up in places and swampy in others.
  8. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

Bobby, I was begining to worry about you. It's good to see you back at it again. As far as your watering problem goes I would politly tell the customer that they need a rain sensor on their irrigation system.
  9. Xantar

Xantar LawnSite Member

You actually make a living????????????????????????????? Destroying a customers lawn, and his kids swingset because you were mad that the lawn was wet.. Good business tactics. I wish all the competition in my area did things like that.
  10. kellroy

kellroy LawnSite Member

wow I'm can't hardly type for the tears falling on my key board! :cry: down here in gods country I don't have that problem seams that southern folks are smart enough to shut off there sprinklers when it raining or forecast to rain . good luck with the 6-7 page contract sounds like your cust my need a more powerfull shredder :cool: