1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Watering Question

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Teach123, Apr 1, 2012.

1. Teach123

Teach123 LawnSite Member

I slitseeded/overseeded my property last fall with a top-quality 80/20 KBG--Rye Mix. With this early spring the turf is gorgeous. My question is about watering. Normally, with a decently established lawn I water 1x per week for about an hour per zone (depending on rainfall). However, some of the new turf isnt established and I know those roots aren't very deep. Should I be gradually going to watering deeply..meaning water lightly to get those roots that aren't deep and then gradually decrease the frequency and increase the water volume applied? The temps are fluctuating between 80's and 60's during the day and 40's and 50"s at night.

I have an irrigation system so the watering is not the problem...

Thanks in advance for any advise.
  2. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Assuming no rain inputs.

Interval: INTz = (AWHC * RZ * MAD) / (ETo * Kl)

Runtime: RTz = [(60 * INTz * ETz) / ARze] * RTM
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  3. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

The simplest thing is to 'plug' the lawn in areas of interest... turn on your sprinkler for you 'estimated time period', and after an hour or so of shutting it off,,, pull a plug and see that the water soaked the root zone or not...

What you want is a wet root zone after irrigation, but not much beyond... Trial and error is the ONLY way to see what works in your lawn... one size does NOT fit all...

You'll be surprised about how much sense everything makes when you plug the soil for various reasons and physically look at the soil and roots ... good luck... :)
  4. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Hmmmm ..... :hammerhead:
  5. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

So an hour per zone...does than mean an inch of water...how much exactly? Around here irrigation companies often set the sprinklers to run 15 minutes every day. Checking the soil with a screwdriver or soil probe is useful. But there are many variables: soil type, porosity, temp, wind, humidity, rain, rooting depth, drought hardiness of grass cultivar, shade, drainage faults, use of turf (athletic, park, premium home lawn) and more.

Around here, every day works fine--unless disease occurs--then I suggest 3 days per week. More minutes if hot--less if weather is cool.
  6. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Unless you are irrigating on pure sand (i.e. a soil with almost no WHC), no reputable irrigation tech would ever water every day. That kind of scheduling is reserved for the mow and blow yahoos.

Yes ... and more ... and they should all be taken into consideration.
  7. Dave Stuart

Dave Stuart LawnSite Member

Please listen to kiril's advice. Very important.
  8. Teach123

Teach123 LawnSite Member

Riggle: An hour usually fills up a tuna can in each zone (Depending on the water pressure and wind) Usually, the water pressure is pretty solid at 4a. I know people who irrigate everyday. They don't care that they have shallow root systems. I guess if they water each day and keep it up then same result.... green lawn. I just prefer to water to about 6' and hope the turf roots start growing deep.

Also...KIRIL...Can I get those variable translated? I think I have figured out a few. Thanks!!

P.S. Much of my lawn is in FULL SUN. I don't know if this makes a difference...probably
  9. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Your basic water requirements on a per hydrozone (or valve zone) basis assuming no rain inputs, soil moisture content is at field capacity to start with and soil is homogeneous throughout root zone (both current and potential).

Interval: INTz = (AWHC * RZ * MAD) / (ETo * Kl)

INTz = Zone Interval (days)
    AWHC = Soil Plant Available Water Holding Capacity (in/foot)
    RZ = Root zone depth (feet)
    MAD = Management allowable depletion (%)
    ETo = reference evapotranspiration (in/day)
    Kl = landscape/crop coefficient (%) (see WUCOLS)​

Runtime: RTz = [(60 * INTz * ETz) / ARze] * RTM

RTz = Irrigation zone runtime (mins)
    INTz = Interval between irrigation events (days)
    ETz = Zone adjusted ET (in/day) --> ETz = (ETo * Kl)
    ARze = Zone effective application rate (in/hr) --> from catch can audit (most accurate)
    RTM = Runtime multiplier (a factor of DU) --> RTM = 100/DULH

Note: Other considerations need to be made here, but this will get you started in the right direction.
  10. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

I'm pretty sure that at least one of those variables means "FS"... :)