Watering restrictions/bans

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by irritation, Jul 10, 2012.

1. txirrigation

txirrigation LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

I have gotten 6.3" in the last 3 days. Your family is right though, corn did OK this year.

They cut back the rice farmers, which is going to destroy a town downstream of Lake Travis.

2. Getting water to the bay is priority one.
    Cities and towns #2
    Rice and ag #3

3. Autoflow

Autoflow LawnSite Member

We had sprinklers completely banned here from late 2003 until mid 2009, with drip allowed two days per week. A lot of irrigation businesses went out of business. I concentrated on garden maintenance until the sprinkler ban was lifted. It sucked balls. I hope you guys never get that bad over there.

4. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

There are some water rights issues being fought in GA for sure.

I suspect conservation is going to be a way of life from now on in GA too

5. Duekster

from DFW, TX

Lot of discussion about subsurface drip for turf and new drip technologies being tested for crops too.

6. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

I think sub surface drip is a great idea, works great for non conventional septic systems. No need to worry about watering at night either.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Got some beavers that need to be put down?

8. Duekster

from DFW, TX

I replaced about 10,000 feet of drip last winter. We were expanding the drip rings around the trees. I noticed several time feeder roots growing into the drip lines via the emitters.

I am not 100% convinced we are ready to do turf like this. However, the use of sprays has been banned in Texas if the turf is less than 4 foot (wide) and has concrete walks and drives on both sides. Time will tell.

9. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

The ones for septic systems are impregnated with a root herbicide and also root guards.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Duekster

from DFW, TX

The septic systems are not covered by the standard irrigation licenses in Texas and as a result I have not played with them.

Also, those herbicide inpregnated pipes would mandate an up grade to the backflow in Texas if connected to potable water.