Watering turf on a hill

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by bassplayer7, May 29, 2012.

1. bassplayer7

bassplayer7 LawnSite Member

I'm having trouble with one of my client's front yard. It is situated on quite an incline, and wanting to die. They can only water for about 10-15 minutes before it starts running down the hill, and puddling on the sidewalk. The yard has been aerated, and I seeded in March (surprisingly no frosts after that). The young grass seems to have come up rather well for the most part. They water pretty much every morning (but because it isn't entirely automatic, they may miss days).

Do this look like a water problem? Note that Disarm was applied about 1.5 weeks before these pictures. If it is, I suppose the only way to fix it would be to cycle the water for longer (8-10 min on, 30 off, on, off, on, off).

note: the second picture is (obviously) on a flat part of the side yard (more or less for comparison).

0b878886-4f51-4dc5-9c31-6c7854695aec.jpg

18e50445-943a-4bc7-8d4a-d81ded46c7ee.jpg

0956f191-42b4-479a-ae15-766797cef954.jpg

ef4b7aa0-da07-4da8-b502-d95ad94954eb.jpg

2. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

They may need to water several times per day shorter periods of time per cycle.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. RodneyK

RodneyK LawnSite Senior Member

Looks like a disease issue to me!

4. bassplayer7

I was hoping it wasn't disease. I'm not exactly sure what to look for in symptoms. It is mostly fescue, with a little bluegrass in there. Interesting part is that the areas with shade are perfectly healthy. The HO is willing to have my - I just need to figure out what's up. I can post more pictures if that would help.

Thanks.

5. cgaengineer

If the grass in the shade is healthy it sounds like heat problem to me.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. bassplayer7

Something like that would make sense. Any suggestions on how to help/alleviate heat stress if that is what it is?

Thanks guys for the pointers. I think I am still in a learning stage.

7. RodneyK

RodneyK LawnSite Senior Member

What fert has it received this year? How was the Disarm applied rate, etc.? Did it do anything? Is the weather requiring almost or daily watering? Time of day watering is occurring? I think I might try to fert my way out of this one with some light apps and adjust watering.

8. bassplayer7

There's been no N this year. Because of the spring seeding, I just sprayed Tenacity as a bit of a pre-m. I sprayed Disarm on a preventative basis - anticipating the younger plants to be rather susceptible (I believe I observed BP last summer as well, but in thinking back, doubt that somewhat). I believe the app rate was about .25oz/1000 sq. ft. We haven't had any rain to speak of for at least 2 weeks - probably more like 4. In the front yard, the watering is happening in the morning.

Fert is a very interesting idea. I'd definitely go light. I have noticed that growth rate really slow down. It looks like we have rain coming next couple of days, so I'm hoping that will give me an idea of water needs.

9. cgaengineer

Water shorter times on hill but more frequently...example 15-20 mins 3 times per day with 1 hour between cycles.

Spoon feed the turf as someone else suggested. Nice small feeding to cut down on top growth.

Where you located?
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. bassplayer7

Makes sense. Next time I'm over there, I'll adjust the main timer.

What's your favorite slow-release N?

I'm outside Kansas City.