Watering?

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by Pastaboy62, May 29, 2008.

1. Pastaboy62

Pastaboy62 LawnSite Senior Member

I mow this lawn that uses Natural Lawn. The lady that does the work, is advising the homeowner not to water their lawn. She says that it is tough love and that the roots, have to grow. They have a fully operational sprinkler system. When they are allowed to water it, which is after june 1st, it is to be only 1 day a week for an hour. The lawn now is pretty bad, it could be using water. Is this method of watering practical? I have never heard of it and was wondering if you have...

2. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

Yes! The roots will start digging down looking for more water. Give it a minute, this will give you much deeper healthier roots and the lawn will look much better in the long run when drought conditions may set in or other climate problems.

That is the proper way, deep and infrequent. Other wise you get shallow unhealthy roots.

3. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

yes thats the way, wait till the grass is just a little stressed, the weed seeds need water in the top 1 inch to get going. water deep and the top layer will dry out almost completely, killing all the little tender sprouts. and the roots in the sod should be able to go down to the 10 inch or deeper mark, where the water is.

thank that person that told you that, they where doing you a GOOD.

and the law here is one day per week 30 minutes per zone

4. DeepGreenLawn

just makes you feel good when you hear people giving out good information for a change.

5. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

TG I'm sure you have this sort of soil where you are too. The Jersey shore soil is very sandy and does not hold water well at all. basically homes built on
    sand dunes

Is this still the best advice?

Here where I am the clay soils hold water pretty well

6. DeepGreenLawn

that probably is where the water when it shows stress, but still water deeply

Lets see how I did

7. treegal1

you got it, after a while the grass will adapt, it also helps if its 4 inches tall to give its self shade

8. Pastaboy62

Pastaboy62 LawnSite Senior Member

Wow, thanks for the help guys

9. DeepGreenLawn

whoa, 4 in? what kind of grass you got down there anyway? I know I am probably the only one with bermuda that posts on here but don't forget that there are other lawns that people deal with too. Bermuda should be about 2 inches max, I like to keep it shorter, the more you cut it the better it fills in.

10. treegal1

St Augustine floratam type 2E or palmetto, with some Sapphire.