Waterproof Snow Footwear?

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by Jason Pallas, Jan 30, 2001.

1. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

Here's a hint that I've found to be real helpful. As a matter of fact, I make all my employees do this - because I don't want to hear any crying about wet feet and soaked socks in the middle of a 12 hour plow. I also don't want sick employees. Put your feet (after donning socks) in plastic bags before you put your boots on (like foot condoms!). Not only do your feet slide easier into your boots, they'll be bone dry (except for some sweat) all the time. My grandfather taught me this one years ago.
    I had the hardest time finding a waterproof set of boots. Finally I found some and plowed in them for years but found them quite large and cumbersome (especially in delicate situations where you need to be quick on the gas and brake!). Needless to say, I can now plow in boots that are much less bulky, more comfortable and stay bone dry while standing in puddles of slush! And all the while I feel like I've got a pair of Mario Andretti's driving shoes on.

2. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith LawnSite Senior Member

I've been wearing Gore-Tex boots for 12 years now. Never got wet feet. As far as cumbersome, with a size 13EE anything I put on is cumbersome!

Seriously, Gore-Tex is the way to go. The boots I get have a one piece tongue, and the Gore-Tex "bootie" is sewn in around the top only, in between layers of insulation.

I have tried many different brands of boots over the years, and these win hands down. The ones that leak are the "water resistant" and the "silicone impregnated leather" ones.

The Gore-Tex ones say 100% waterproof, and they are.

As a kid, I did the bags on the feet thing too.

I have been buying my boots from Cabela's. I get the "All Season Gore-Tex Leather Hunting Boot".

It's here if anyone is interested.

http://www.cabelas.com/texis/script...splayPOD/CabFALL1998/CabFALL1998AGAmAA/XA209Q

I usually get 2 - 3 years out of a pair. These are comfortable right out of the box too, which is more than I can say for most boots and shoes!

~Chuck

3. Rooster

Rooster LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks Chuck, I have used Sorels for years. But I just found out the Grandson of the founder bankrupt the company in 3 months.
    I was told they were the worlds largest manufacture of Cold weather boots.
    Never tried Gortex but I will.

4. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

good idea, i got to try that plastic bag thing. It's realy no fun working 30 hours with cold, numb feet. It usually takes my feet atleast 6 hours to thaw once I get home. I'd get the gore-tex but I'm too cheap.

5. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

Never had a problem with greaseing the Red Wings.

6. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

I pull a pair of Tingley yellow boots over my sneakers and feet stay dry for days.

7. HandyHaver

HandyHaver LawnSite Member

Rooster,

I too am a fan of the sorel boots but could not find a pair
    anywhere this year. I also read an article in News Week I think about the grandson running the co. into the ground. The good news is that the co. was sold and will be back in production for next season. I have worn sorels for years hunting and never got wet or cold feet. Let's hope the quality stays the same.

Mark

8. Ryanw

Ryanw LawnSite Member

I recomend a boot made by Hoffman Boots in Kellog Idaho. I have been wearing the "Predator Extreme" for the last 2 years and will never buy another boot. It has a rubber bottom with air bob sole and leather upper. 100% water proof and very comfortable. Similar to a Sorel Style but not at all clumsy or difficult to drive in. I wear them from hunting in September to fishing in the spring. I bought a Sorel liner ($20) to put in for the coldest part of winter. I used to mark timber sales for the Forest Service in these. My feet never got wet and I could cover miles in them. They have removable calks for walking on wet logs or ice that are very nice, but even nicer is the fact you can remove them for walking in the house. I know I sound like I work for them but I don't. I do swear by these boots for waterproof footwear for around $150. You can check them out or order them here:

http://www.hoffmanboots.com/index.html

9. CCLC

CCLC LawnSite Senior Member

All of my family wears sorels. We purchased them all off of ebay for about 1/2 price and they were brand new. I have wore goretex boots in the past and they are great as well.

My wife tells me that when she was a little girl that they wore bread bags inside their boots to keep the little feet dry.

10. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

I saw a guy getting out of his plow truck at a repair shop, had to put his shoes on. He had a towel or rug on the floor and plowed in just his socks.