Waterproof Work Boots

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rookie03, Feb 2, 2005.

1. rookie03

rookie03 LawnSite Member
    from OK

Anyone have any waterproof non-insulated work boot? If so, what brand? model? price? And how do they perform and feel? Please let me know if you have any waterproof work boots. Thanks!

2. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

Any full leather boot should be water proof. You just have to apply Nikwax or Snoseal to it. As long as you don't step in water that is deeper than the boot you should be fine.

3. Keegan

Keegan LawnSite Senior Member
    from CT

I've been using Survivors for years. Never leaked at the seams and last a long time. I bought them at an Army Navy store and on their website. If I remember I paid around $70-$80.

4. LawnMowerBoy48

LawnMowerBoy48 LawnSite Member

Do you prefer steal toe or one without. I've heard stories of people who had been wearing a pair of steal toed boots and a heavy object fell onto the toe and the steal cut through the foot. I'd imagine they would be in just as much trouble had they been wearing boots without steal toes. What do you guys think.

5. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

I think I'll take my chances with the steel. If you drop a 50lb+ retaining wall block on your toe, you'll fare much better WITH the steel toe.

6. kkat

kkat LawnSite Member

A good buddy of mine works for the water dept and he says the only true waterproof boot out there are the boots with the word (GORETEX OR GORTEX) not sure with the spelling, on them .There are 3 types of waterproofing on boots 1 type only the seams are waterproof, another type means that the boot was treated with a waterprofing and the third type is goretex which is 100% waterproof , so if a boot says waterproof on it you will be getting one of the first 2 and for a true waterproof boot make sure it says (GORTEX OR

7. deereman

deereman LawnSite Senior Member
    from USA

I wear either Irish Setter or Rocky or Danner . All of them can be purchased w/ waterproofing.My favorite is I think the Danners. They are very high priced but I like how they feel. Almost like a high quality tennis shoe. I have walked many miles in the Rocky Mountains while on hunting trips. I dont think youll be any harder on boots than myself. The Danner boots run $100.00 to $300.00 Irish Setters $80.00 to $200.00 Rockys $65.00 to $155.00. As far as waterproofing they all worked well. However I think that the Danners are a little better boot. However they need care just like a car or mower, regular oiling and waterproofing is very important.

8. rookie03

rookie03 LawnSite Member
    from OK

I've been looking at a pair of Danner's 8" Quarry Boot with Gore-Tex/waterproof/breathable for $215. If they are worth it I'll buy them, but I'm not going to spend that if they are only going to last one season. How long do they hold up?

9. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

The best boot I've ever owned are my Georgia Boot Mud Dogs. In fact, I just bought a pair for my employee last night because he'll be the one making the applications this year with the new spray rig. Feet never get wet and these boots are rugged. I've had mine for about 20 months now and I wear them every day that I work...all year long. No problems in summer.

The boots are rubber at the base and leather at the top.

Paid $79 for a pair last night at Cavendar's Boot City in Lewisville.

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper

10. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Wolverine's. They'll last forever too.