Waterway job

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Fieldman12, Apr 22, 2007.

1. Fieldman12

Fieldman12 LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, this is one of my first big projects on the farm. Been doing lots of little ones. Dad needed a waterway put in behind the barn to catch the water runoff from the field. It's about 250' long and curves around the barn. I have just rough cut it in and still have a bank to cut beside the barn and make the parabolic shape. at the Center its about 1' and on the deep end behind the barn about 2'. You cant tell in the pictures except by looking at the piles it was a muddy mess but had to be done soon so we can get the piles out of the way to plant corn in the field. When it dries out maybe tomorrow I'm gonna go in and shape the banks better and cut the other bank. Any comments or ideas on things I should do. I was really impressed with the digging power of the 250 series II Deere. I did have the hydraulic temperature over heat come on after an hour but I had dug 200' already in the center and was working it hard in the mud. Any one had this sensor come on? Is this normal? It never came on any more after that. It was full of fluid. A dozer would have been handy for this job.

2. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I would say you have a sensor problem. If the sensor is not malfunctioning and the hyd. oil got that hot from that small amount of work I would assume there is a problem with the machine.
  3. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

Fieldman....you asked for comments or suggestions.......so here is one for you...........don't ever move! don't ever take for granted the awesome lifestyle you have got! your farm looks beautiful and I wish I was there to enjoy the solitude. Plus, I wish I had another nice barn like yours here at my place. They're crowding us out here.....600 new homes up to our pasture lines, can't pull out the driveway anymore without a long wait, livestock gets out and goes on the road and these new tourists accelerate and aim for them......so enjoy the green grass and open spaces.......
  4. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

not sure about deer but on a bobcat I have seen a dirty or clogged radiator cause a temp sensor to go off.
  5. dozerman21

dozerman21 LawnSite Bronze Member

Besides the obvious of making sure your hyd. fluid is topped off, you might need to change your hyd filter(s).

It looks like you're headed in the right direction with the cut. If the stacked dirt isn't too wet or doesn't have too much sod in it, you could spread that on the banks of the swale and make a more defined "V".
  6. tallrick

tallrick LawnSite Senior Member

I second this statement! Here in Florida we all got "crowded out". Hopefully I will be out of this hell hole and back to the country by next year. Don't know what's going on but it seems like all the rural areas are being swallowed up by the real estate bubble.

As for overheating check your oil cooler and the radiator fan. No skid steer should overheat from grading like that. It's nice to have soil to work with instead of sand and rock like here. A lot easier on your machine!
  7. Fieldman12

Fieldman12 LawnSite Bronze Member

Rockset N' Grade, yeah we like it here very well, this is the biggest of our five farms. There is 81 acres here all together with about 21 in woods. We actually plan to build a new barn out front of this barn in the summer close to twice this ones size. As to the other comments I am going to change the hydraulic filters and possible the sensor. I'm guessing the sensor is going bad. All the wheels have power to them and plenty of break out force unless you really stick in in the ground to see what it will do. It is days like this I wish I had a CTL.
  8. tallrick

"A dozer would have been handy for this job."

Truer words have never been written! A nice angle and tilt blade with a dozer would have made short work of that ditch. I have seen a PAT mount for CTL's that seemed to work well, on a small scale. It's always more work to try and cut a ditch with a skid steer and bucket. Probably got dizzy from all the bouncing and turning while in the JD?
  9. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

For jobs like this, use what you have, don't invest more than fuel and your time into it. Who cares if it takes you a little longer, just get the job done with what you have and take some of the money saved on rental fees and buy yourself a 6 pack of brew for the end of the day.
  10. tallrick

Yes that's how it always ends up getting done, with the tools on hand. Just comparing techniques and thinking of possible improvements. Anything is an improvement over pick and shovel.