Wavy blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by spcfoor, Aug 23, 2006.

1. spcfoor

spcfoor LawnSite Senior Member

How in the world do you sharpen them?

2. stumpjumper

stumpjumper LawnSite Member

Very carefully:dancing: Seriously, I put them in the vice at the unsharpened area at the bolt hole with the blade facing up. I use an angle grinder making light passes so not to heat up the blade. I can do a blade in less than 5 minutes.

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

The mulching blades I just run down the benchgrinder. I just move the blade to match the bevel.

4. TAZ

TAZ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

you either use that method or get a kit for the grinders like the magna-matic 8000

-TAZ

5. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

Just hit the outer few inches that is flat...thats what does the cutting. Generally I dont see the inner higher portion get dull...unless they are hitting things with it.

MagnaMatic has some nice setups for it. I forget which model we have. I generally never use it that way though because we use the wider grinding wheel in it so it really doesnt work for following the curves. You need to switch to a narrow wheel for that. We mostly do commercial blades that are flat so it doesnt make sense to be switching wheels...

6. spcfoor

spcfoor LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the advice.

7. TAZ

TAZ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Correct the magna has you switch out the 1" wide wheel for the 1/2". I kinda agree with what your saying though. I think the imporant type is the last flat cutting edge but sharpening the higher section can't hurt.

-TAZ

8. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

If you really want the upper section sharpened you could still do it with the wider wheel. You just cant do the contour where it goes from low to high. I dont think even the thinner wheel gets the contours too well just becuase most of them are too abrupt...

9. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Angle grinder with a flap disc.

10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with this can't image spending a lot of money on fancy grinder unless he is running a large business. And the angle grinder can not only be used for curvy blades but more important hedge trimmer blades.