1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Wax On Wax Off

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JOEWOOD, Jul 10, 2005.

JOEWOOD LawnSite Member

How many of you actually wax your Brand New Machines?
    I was tempted many times, but i'm not even one for washing & waxing my car.

Joe... :waving:
  2. Bulletproof

Bulletproof LawnSite Member

We've been known to wax the exmarks and the kubota as well as the trucks and tongues of the trailers.

The better shape you keep your equipment in the higher the price you can sell them for later on!

It may seem anal, but do you think customers like seeing 02' GMC Sierra z71's pulling 20ft trailers loaded with clean equipment in front of their houses...OR... trucks with dirty trailers towing equipment that hasn't been washed in weeks/ever.

Waxing may be overkill but we take pride in our stuff.

I realize some customers couldn't care any less about this, but some see the pride we take in our equipment and realize that same care will be applied to their lawn! :cool2:

Also, why let thousands upon thousands of dollars of great equipment go to crap?

JOEWOOD LawnSite Member

Excellent answer BP, I would love to have your motivation, because what you said really rings through!

Joe... :waving:
  4. Bulletproof

Thanks Joe!

Yeah the name thing.... Not sure why I chose bulletproof, first thing that came to mind...know when you draw a blank? ;) haha

I love what I do more than anything in the world.

Cleaning and maintenance is very time consuming but it is well worth it! We (2 from the crew) spend probably 5 hours a week cleaning and doing maintenance and it doesn't seem like a headache.

Plus waxing only needs to be done 3-4 times a year so it's really not that bad, plus you get a few brews and even out the farmers tan!
  5. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 LawnSite Senior Member

I do some waxing. Business image means a lot
  6. Scapegoat

Scapegoat LawnSite Member

I keep my black truck waxed and washed and my open trailer stays touched up with black spray paint so you never see surface rust.

What you say is true that people see that you take pride in the condition of your equipment and that will be applied to their lawn/landscape.

I have gotten work SOLEY because of the condition of my truck/trailer. For example, not long ago a retired gentleman came over as I was doing work in his neighborhood, said I obviously take pride in my truck (thought it was an 03 though its a 97 F150) and asked me to do work for him.

I also keep a neat appearance as best I can.
  7. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

I wash my stuff every weekend, both trailers, machines, and trimmers. i use QuiK Detailer on everything, it gives it the just waxed looked without the hassle....I wash the truck as well. I just bought a pressure washer, it makes the trailer washing go a bit faster...i even spray tires with dressing, all of them, truck and trailers....image is everything!!
  8. Bulletproof

We were looking into getting a pressure washer as well... Do you recommend using it on the riders or not? I've heard a few people say that the pressure from the sprayer will get water in the joints and others area's it shouldn't be in.... Any idea whether that is accurate, it makes sense but I'm unsure.

Also, how much PSI is your sprayer and would you recommend a larger, smaller or identical unit?

9. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

I got mine at Sears, was about $300.00, it's 2200 PSI, gas type, I used it on the 36"WB, I don't go crazy and do a pin spray, this will tear crap off...I just use the fan spray, I then release the cleaner though the wand (simple green) move to the 21"s and then back to the 36" to rinse off. I then look at everything to see if needs grease, air, whatever. I then replace the blades with sharp ones. On the truck and trailers I use car wash soap instead of SG. I then spray the driveway or wash floor mats, etc...It's like having a good air compressor...it's handy.. :D
  10. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Hummm... I want the look AND the protection.
    Does that stuff give you both or just a shine?

I just picked up the "AS SEEN ON TV" TurtleWax Jet Wax in the hose-end sprayer.
    I thought I would try it because there are so many hard to get spots on equipment.
    Anyone ever tried it?