Wax Scale control??

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Harry0, May 9, 2005.

1. Harry0

Harry0 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

During the last two years I have noticed a big increase in Wax scale. I believe it is "Indian Wax Scale" In my research on the web I have found articles from Cornell that suggest injecting or drenching Sevin in June(Im in NJ). I was advised by my pest- supplier to use Merit.- He is not too familar with wax scale. So I would like to hear from anyone who has experience controlling this annoying pest. It is damaging-hollies the most but other plants too. Last year I applied oil in the spring with little control.
    Thanks in advance Harry

2. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

Check the label first on this as it does not pertain to all plants and try to use it early in the morning or late evening. Horticulture oil will work on scales. It smothers them. You must get entire plant and under all leaves.

Orthene works well for plants that can suck up the chemical.

3. Harry0

Harry0 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Thanks for response-I was told it is too late for oil-and need to try somthing else. I did not know Orthene is listed for wax scale but I will look into it.
    Harry

4. nelbuts

from SW, FL

That is why I told you to check the label for the oil and see if the plant is too sensitive for it now. That is also why I said to apply it early in morning or late in evening. As far as the orthene if your plants do not have a waxy coating and can be absorbed through the leaves then it should work. The scales suck juices from leaves and stems and orthen is a systemic so it will transfer throughout the plant. Therefore, they will suck it in.

5. nelbuts

from SW, FL

Checked the label and orthene is not labeled for wax scales just crawlers so maybe some bad info on my part. But I have used it with success in the past. Best success is the oil.

6. Rtom45

Rtom45 LawnSite Senior Member

Merit works well when applied as a soil drench. We have controlled our scale problem for 2 years with one application.

7. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

8. Harry0

Harry0 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Thanks for responses-

Rtom-do you remember when your Merit app. was? I am planning for late May.
    Harry

9. Greg Amann

Greg Amann LawnSite Member

10. Rtom45

Rtom45 LawnSite Senior Member

HarryO
    Our records show that we did that treatment and the very end of April, 2002.