1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Way to keep mulch in place???

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by LwnmwrMan22, Nov 6, 2006.

1. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Here's the situation.

I only do maintenance, no install, or rather very few minor (less than $1000) each year.

Anyways, a larger strip mall I maintain had the landscaping totally redone this year, with using recycled dyed pallets as the mulch.

There's 2 areas, where the wind whips around the corner of the building and blows the mulch out of the landscape areas, and into the grass.

The install company has been out 2 times now to refill the areas, but a week later it's back.

Is there a chemical / substance / whatever that anyone's tried on mulch that's going to be windswept, which will hold it in place better??

I've always just used shredded bark / trees which matt together fairly decent and have not had this situation arise.

2. ChadsLawn

ChadsLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Ive never seen anything that will keep mulch in its place.
  3. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

can't resist..........how about glue........:)
  4. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Bird netting works very well and is hardly visible. Just pin it down around the edges of the bed and cut off the excess.
  5. bbpropmaint

bbpropmaint LawnSite Member

try a search for mulch guard its a glue you spray on
  6. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

use a black bird net looks like sod netting an works well ! have fun an sheshovel you did it again!! see ya George
  7. Bigred350

Bigred350 LawnSite Senior Member

You may have to use some type of gravel in that area.