Way to make easy winter money for all the lawn boys

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by olderthandirt, Dec 10, 2005.

1. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

I'm gonna tell you about a way that you can make lots of money in the winter time with only 1 piece of equipment that you already have.
    Last fall I came up with the idea that in the winter car dealers have to clean the snow off of all the cars on the lot, They pay a lot boy to spend all day or they have the salemans doing it 1/2 azz when they get time. And there possably loosing sales while waiting.
    I talked to the owner of the dealership near me and suggested that I could do them with a back pack blower BEFORE they opened, never heard much about it till the snow started to fall. Well the idea caught on like wild fire and I have dealers calling all the time to get a price and wanting the service. pricings easy. Less than 100 cars $1.00 apiece sounds like a lot but the dealers that has 50 cars sitting there don't seem to mind. 100 -300, 75 cents a piece. And for more than 300 the mega stores or the dealers that are close and went together 60 cents a car. Check around your area and you might be able to put $100-$1000 a day in your pocket for using what gathers dust in the winter. I will be expecting roalty checks from anyone useing MY idea.
    And a quick note stay out of my neighhood payup payup payup payup payup

2. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

That has been around this area for a few years. Two things happened, instead of Mow-Joes the Blow –Joes popped up. In addition, the bigger dealers just started getting their own backpacks, and acquainted their shop help with them. Until those factors start happening in your area, you should make out like a bandit. Until the Blow-Joe cut rate snow plowers that will include it with the snow plowing, descend on the seen.

3. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Do you scrape the ice off the windshield too that is normally under the snow, or does the lot boy do that? Seems there's more to it than just blowing snow. The lot boy would have to be involved I guess, scraping the ice off the windshield so the car would be ready for test drive if need be, and he would be moving the cars around so the plow could get around to move the snow where the cars were sitting. So they'll pay you plus the lot boy?
    Interesting, wonder if that would work around here.

4. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Snow on cars???? I would starve to death down here:D

5. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

One thing you probably will find out,Wet and heavy snow is a *****.

6. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

i think i'm gonna take a trip to upper ohio..........:p payup

7. the ace

the ace LawnSite Member
    from usa

As closely parked as the cars are on the lots, and you with a backpack sticking out about a foot off your back, I picture a big scratch and dent sale! I am thinking of getting two new trucks this spring, let me know what dealership you do this for.:D

8. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

We don't remove ice just the snow that the blowers can remove. The sales man or lot boys start the cars later and warm them up and melt the ice if thre is any or it needs to be removed. We don't plow the lots and don't want to, to many cars to work around and the salesmen all use a new plow truck to play around with. We have not had to deal with any large amount of wet heavy snow yet, I'm sure it would take a lot longer but I think it all averages out over a season but not sure yet. I'm sure the larger dealers will eventially start to buy blowers and let the lot boys do the work, but the smaller dealers and some of the larger dealers like the idea of having them snow free by 9:00 AM. and to them its worth the cost. I know that at one dealship the salesman all pay 1/2 and the owner pays the other 1/2.
    Just thought I'd share a new way to make some bucks if its not offered in your area, around me were the 1st to offer it and so far the only ones that I've seen. Picked up enough work in the last month that its time to hire a part time guy to do it.

9. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

I think this is a very good idea. Would you clean out in between the cars or just get the snow off of them, for trucks, would you clean the snow out of the bed? or for big SUVs, Trucks, and vans, do you clean off the rooves on those too? Wow, i really like this idea!!lol

10. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

we just got about 6 inches of nice fluffy snow with a nice half inche layer of ice to keep it from blowing off and that is the norm in my area
    i would also not be cought dead in a car lot full of new cars with ice and such with a big back pac on every scrach and dent that in on any car will now be your fault i have delt with car dealerships in the past and most suck and many now have cameras so they can show u scraching the cars lol
    thanks for the tip but i am going to pass