1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Ways To Conserve Gasoline...........

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LandscapeSolutions, Aug 12, 2005.

1. LandscapeSolutions

LandscapeSolutions LawnSite Member

What are some ways you guys conserve gas? Well besides keeping a clean air filter, good spark plug, proper tire psi on vehicle/ trailer..........

Gas hit $2.49/ gallon here today and I just thought maybe I should try to conserve some gas. I don't drive as erratic anymore, thats a start.

Maybe I should buy a goat for every lawn....they are gasless and would keep the lawn under control......then no more driving....at all! Talk about a great solution!

Im just curious......any ideas?
  2. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

do you mean on equipment or truck? On my equipment i run amsoil motor oil. Less fricition means less fuel burned. On my truck i have switched gear lube to amsoil and noticed a slight improvement. I am soon going to switch transmission fluid and engine oil to amsoil as well as get an air intake system. I'm not liking $2.59/gal :angry:
  3. willretire@40

willretire@40 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from VA

Just think about if you really need to go out or can you wait till later and do everything at one time. Car pool. My wife and i have a ram 1500 hemi and an expediton 5.4L and nothing else so we need to start watching how we drive and go run errands together. Also walk to the store instead of driving if it isnt that far. We all can use the exercise. Also if you still need to drive alot then make up the difference in money buy not buying that magazine at the store just b.c u see it or anything else for the matter and try to cut back going out to eat b.c remember you have to spend the gas to get there.
  4. mownredneck

mownredneck LawnSite Member

I just put bigger tires on my truck on the same day they raise gas prices
  5. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

I dont really conserve. Ya I spend alot per month in gasoline. But its only a few extra dollars when they raise it a few pennys. Last month I was around 800 for fuel. Now when it gets to be 4 bucks a gallon, then i'll conserve, however that wont happen for another 5 years imo, but by then natural gas will be more efficent and cheaper. i feel that gasoline will be back in the low 2's by march. When I filled up yesterday it was 2.79
  6. fcl01

fcl01 LawnSite Member
    from OHIO

stay home :rolleyes:
  7. Mowgli

Mowgli LawnSite Member

Hay, I saw you have Gravely Pro H 1536. How long have you had it?
    Can you tell me some negatives and positives about this machine?
  8. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

The key though is to start implementing procedures and learning how best to conserve fuel before it hits $4 a gallon, that way conserving is a habit, not an inconvienece. I don't think there is much that could be done in our business to conserve a lot of fuel. I guess you could get a rear gear change with a better ratio, but that would only really help on long distance towing.....

The biggest thing you could do would be to really study your route and concentrate on increasing your route density and better shcedulig of the jobs. No spill Gas Containers.....think about getting a truck with a grass body or a box thay way you don't always need to pull a trailer..., But that would be BIG up front $$$$, Figure out ways to lighen your trailer load, only take what you really need...Like days that you only do pruning, maybe leave the trailer home. For those that are bagging and have to take stuff to the landfill, try to talk your clients into mulching.....

Nice thing about Goats...you get grass cutting and Fert in one application :)
  9. smullen

smullen LawnSite Member

$2.55 GAl for the Cheap Stuff here in St. Louis and I've heard several people say its gonne hit $2.85 in the next week or so.... Not sure where they got that info though....
  10. Jcs Lawn and Landscape

Jcs Lawn and Landscape LawnSite Member

lower the throttle on ur machines when its not on thick or tall grass so the machines will save alittle and also stay of the gas in the truck lol