1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Ways to cut costs...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fiveoboy01, May 16, 2007.

1. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

This SHOULD probably be in the business management section but I figure it will get more views here, and a better response...

Well with the price of gas, and just general thinking I've been trying to come up with ways to cut costs in any area of my business. A few things I thought of:

Open up an account(even if cash only) at an auto parts store, which gets me reduced prices on oil/filters/etc through the business.

Try to use ethanol-free fuels(haven't yet, I'm not sure that this is possible, but I'm going to be looking into it) for better mileage.

Of course trying to save fuel mileage on the tow truck, driving with the A/C off, light on the gas pedal, plan stops ahead so I don't have to replace the brake pads as often, etc...

Change the cell phone plan to the bare minimum so I'm not paying for minutes I don't use.

I'm thinking about extending drain intervals on my mowers from 50 to 75 hours. Not completely decided on that yet. Also thinking about switching oil brands to something cheaper like Super Tech.. I know Kawi says every 100 hours, but I dunno, the oil looks really dirty after 100 hours and sometimes I'm in real dusty and dirty conditions.

Keep empty water bottles and fill them with tap water, eliminating $ spend on bottled water each day, which I go through quite a bit of it when it's hot out.

STOP buying food at fast food joints throughout the day, pack a stinkin lunch, it's so much cheaper.

These are a few things I thought of, but I'm sort of hitting a brick wall...

I know there are many ways to reduce expenses, so anyone else feel free to add to my list:)