Ways to get rid of crab grass???

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by rvsuper, Jul 18, 2002.

1. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

My yard has a few spots of crabgrass this year....never really had it until this year. Neighbors say that it is hard to get rid of? What can I do besides using RoundUp to get rid of this stuff? I tried pulling it, but the roots don't come out. I don't know characteristics of this suff, but will it grow if its only the roots there?
  2. wolfpacklawn

wolfpacklawn LawnSite Member

I've seen a new product by Ortho that is specifically for killing crabgrass in lawns. I saw it at home depot. I haven't tried it but would if I had the need.
  3. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

whats it called?
  4. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

Went to the ortho site and found it.....looks like it should work. I HATE crabgrass!!!:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:
  5. ipm

ipm LawnSite Senior Member

MSMA will do the trick. MAke sure it is not ST.Aug or similar(centipede, etc.. Read the label.
  6. masterpiece1

masterpiece1 LawnSite Member

We use the product "Drive" for postemergent crabgrass control in our fertlizing company. Works great!
  7. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

If you get on and use a good per-m program crabgrass is one of the easiest to control. I have not had crabgrass in my lawn in years.

If you have you license you can get Drive 75 or MSMA, with the temps we have had lately I would stick woth the Drive. Next year get you pre-m down and make sure you have good coverage (months) and you should be set.
  8. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

the ortho works great but make sure and mix it exactly by the directions. More is not better
  9. ExlawnPro

ExlawnPro LawnSite Member

The best thing that should have been is to apply Crab Grass Pre-Emergent in the spring. It is tough to get rid of during the hot season when it proliferates without damaging the surrounding "desirable" grass plants.

I would live with it until late spring/early fall and spray it and any other undesirable weeds/grasses with Round-Up, wait seven to ten days and renovate(power rake/core aeration/slicing) and seed these areas and any other areas that may have been damaged by disease/grubs/drought, etc.