Ways to speed up ztr?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by matt1487, Apr 27, 2008.

1. matt1487

matt1487 LawnSite Member

I saw a thread earlier that said you could get a bigger air filter to speed up the ztr a little. Where can I get one and are there any other ways? I have an 06 toro z master 74412 48 in.

2. matt1487

matt1487 LawnSite Member

Anyone know?

3. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

An air filter to speed it up? Who the heck told you that? Only way to speed it up is to set the engine rpm higher or change the drive pully which will speed up the hydro pumps.

4. J.A.G LAWNCARE

J.A.G LAWNCARE LawnSite Senior Member

why go faster , they go fast , to fast to mow the way you need 2 ...

5. Lawn-Sharks

Lawn-Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

Buy a dixie chopper if you want to go fast, when you start modifieing you mower your running the risk of something breaking before its supposed to. Just my two pennies

6. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

smaller tires lower your gear ratio, less weight and rolling resistance. ATV tires get better traction. Might put a spoiler on there to keep the rear end on the ground while you're at it.

7. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

Speed does not equal a quality cut.

8. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

This is the best advice !!

9. Lawn-Sharks

Lawn-Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

Thank you!

10. Pumper

Pumper LawnSite Member

The ground speed of a machine is relative to the pulley size on the engine, the pulley size on the pump, the size of the pump, the size of the wheel motor and the size of the driven tire.

You can change the pump and/or engine pulley but most pumps are already set up for 3600 RPM input which is the max.

You can change the size of your pump and/or wheel motor but the larger the pump, the more HP is diverted from the deck to the drive system. And the smaller the wheel motor, the more speed you get but you have to increase the pressure from the pump to do the same job. You run the risk of shortening the life of the drive system.

The easiest way to get more speed is to increase the size of the tire. However, a larger drive wheel means your deck has to be adjusted and it also increases the torque required by the wheel motor (however it is less of an adjustment that changing the wheel motor displacement).

A simple way of changing the speed is to add air to your tire. When you run low pressure, you actually decrease the diameter of the tire. If you fully inflate, you can get as much as 3/4 - 1 MPH more. But this also means you will have a MUCH rougher ride and the machine will absorb more shocks.

After having said all of this, you if need more speed I would look at another machine.