ways to treat poison ivy?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnkid, Aug 17, 2002.

1. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

I just got a severe case of Poison Ivy the other day while cutting down some trees in the woods. so far I've tried like cortizone and Gold bond, Bleach, rubbing alcohol,(pulls the oil out of the blisters which is ok), vionegar, and now i'm gonna try some whiskey. Has anyone ever had poion ivy and 1. how did they treat it? 2. how long did it take to heal? It's all over my fore arms. any help from experience would help.

2. roscioli

roscioli LawnSite Senior Member

If its really bad, go to the Doctor and get a prescription for Prednisone (spelling). Its a steroid that will cure it in a couple days.. but be careful, and take it exactly as the prescription says, because it has some crazy side effects if you dont. Be sure to ask your Dr. about the side effects before you take it.
    Other than that, for homemade recipes, I always use rubbing alcohol, and really scrub hard to it tears it all up, then be sure to clean up well with either more rubbing alcohol and clean (DISPOSABLE) paper towels, or with a product known as Tecnu. It washes away the oils, and really works.

3. sbvfd592

sbvfd592 LawnSite Senior Member

ya i have some on my armes from just looking at it when i was asked to do a estamet i said i could not pull that out and the laddy refused to spray it with ortho so i told her to forget it the next moring i wake up and im skrachen it i whnet to the doc and got a shot.

4. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

There is some stuff called "Tecnu". This will keep the itching to a minimum. You can get shots from a Dr. also.

MATT

5. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

You can go to a dermatologist, and they have a shot now that will kill it almost instantly.

6. Dilute two teaspoons of ordinary household bleach in
    one gallon of lukewarm water. Soak the affected part
    for about fifteen minutes. Dries it up pretty good.

This home recipe actually comes from a dermatologist.

7. firefighter

firefighter LawnSite Member

I use TECNU, its for poison ivy and poison oak. Its an out door skin cleaner, it will stop irritants and stops from spreading. I bought it at Wal mart.

My friend has some type of machine that he makes this liquid that he cause silver. He takes the silver and some real strong peroxide and mixes them together. This really works great.:blob2:

8. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

i thot the shot was a quick fix on that problem. guess not huh. im just glad i enjoy almost total immunity. not gonna roll in it tho.:) calamines the old fix..

9. 1stclasslawns

1stclasslawns LawnSite Senior Member

The best treatment is not to get it.

I use the technu soap as a lotion when I know I am in it and wash with it afterwards. Use it befor and after no problem

Jim

10. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

i accidently splashed gas on the poison ivy on my leg and it dryed up very quick:)