WB advice...belts or Quick

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nitro121, Jan 25, 2007.

1. nitro121

nitro121 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm going to start a new setup this summer for my lawn mowing business. Last year I used a ZTR but had hired two deadbeat employee's over the summer. Since we only do residential yards (small business's...no fert, mulch, etc) I want to switch to WB's because when I put out help wanted ad's it seems the only people w/ experience on ZTR's really didn't work too hard. And putting someone out there w/ not much experience worries me because of the danger/accident waiting to happen.

Anyway....I'm thinking of getting a 36 and 40-something walkbehind so I can fire and hire people if they don't work out and train someone really quick.

What would you get? Belts or go w/ a Quick 36 and 44? I have approx. 5-6K to do this with....of course if I find good deals on used belt drives that will solve my problems because I am a cheapskate.

Remember....I won't be using the stuff so I'm not worried about wearing myself out. I'll use the ZTR on my 3 acres...or pay the help to do it.

Peace,
    Gary

2. nitro121

Belt or used belt vs. new single hydro Quick?

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Get a good used belt drive.....Scag!

4. nitro121

Since I've never used either I haven't a clue if one is better than the other. But I know a few landscapers and they use walkbehinds for the helpers....one of the more successful companies only use a 36 and 48 belt walk behind. I was thinking using Quicks just to be easier on the employee.

I wish I could use a ZTR but I just don't trust the help and a lot of yards have hills (of course when I cut a hill I drive up it and back down it....but I don't trust anyone else to do it).

All these guys basically bash belts now....they can't be that bad....I only want to invest 6K tops....not 10 or 11K.

Peace,
    Gary

5. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

Demo a belt driven Toro T-bar, best bang for your buck in WBs. You can get a new 36" w/ the 15hp kawi and the Turboforce deck for under $3k or the 40" for $3,300, the T-bar is so easy to use, and Toros are built like tanks.

6. nitro121

I've only use a belt drive for 5 min before...I'll check on the toro. It would be easy for a newbie employee to use/train them on?

7. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

yes the tbar is very easy to use

8. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

I got my new one for $3,700 Toro T-Bar 48" Turbo Force deck, 15hp kaw v-twin belt drive w/tru trak sulky. Should be in mid Feb according to my dealer. And yes they are built like tanks, all of my other toro mowers have been through hell and back and still keep going. I'm looking forward to using this new mower since all of my other walkbehinds are pistol grips and have never used a tru trak sulky so when it warms up I will let everyone know how this combo works for me.