WB Advice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pottstim, May 29, 2003.

1. pottstim

pottstim LawnSite Senior Member

I work a full-time job for a local publishing company and have been mowing a couple of lawns for the past few years for extra money. I've been a member here for nearly 3 years now, and I've found that this site contains an incredible wealth of information. Some friends of my father's own a lawn care service, and they are looking at cutting back their workload. I am looking into taking on 5-6 more lawns from them, and I feel that now is the time to step up to a commercial grade walk-behind. I've been looking around at various dealers who carry Scag, Toro, MTD Pro (out of the question for me), Gravely, and Great Dane. Based on what I have seen, I like the Scag (48" fixed deck, 15hp Kaw Twin Belt drive) and the Toro (48" fixed deck 15hp Kaw Twin Belt drive). The Scag dealer quoted me a price of $2995+tax, and the Toro dealer quoted me a price of $2899+tax. Each dealer said around $250 for a velke. Do these prices sound like they are good, or are they out of line? Also, what type of velke is best, single wheel or dual? It seems to me that a dual would be more stable. But, the Scag dealer told me a 1 wheeler tracks better and they sell more of those. This is something that I have always enjoyed doing, and I think that I could make a go of it. Heck, you might as well get paid for something you like to do, right? Thanks in advance for your comments and advice. :)

2. pottstim

Can anyone offer me any advice here? I would greatly appreciate it. Thought about going down to the Scag dealer tomorrow morning to talk about money down, financing, etc. depending on how this mulch project i'm working on goes. I would like to go down there prepared. Thanks for any replies :)

Tim

3. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

Where in TN are ya?I pd 3099 last yr for a 17/48 scag in chatt.--17 is not enough hp.:)

4. kickin sum grass

kickin sum grass LawnSite Senior Member

I am not a fan of toro so the scag is the best between the two. (this coming from a former toro owner) We run the lesco sulky. It is fixed to the mower frame anr turns with the unit as a whole. There is no wobbling like you see from the other units and you stay in line with the handles as u turn. Also easy to back up with. I would never own another sulky that wasn't a fixed unit. They cost more but over the life it doesn't amount to jack.

5. pottstim

Thanks for the advice so far. Grassdaddy, I am 30 miles NE of knoxville in Jefferson County, TN. It sure is a great place to live. Thanks for telling me what you paid for you Scag.
    Kickin Sum Grass, thanks for the advice on Toro vs. Scag, plus the advice on the sulky. Personally, after looking these 2 units over good, I also prefer the Scag. It just seems to be built a little bit better.

6. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

I'd try to get hydro instead of belt if possible.

7. pottstim

Thanks for the advice, guys. I just found out there is an Exmark dealer up the road about 10 miles, and I may go check them out. Actually, the dealer is a Pro Hardware store. Their prices are known to be high, but I may check them out anyway. :D

8. rookiemower

rookiemower LawnSite Senior Member

I have never heard anyone call a rider attachment a velke most people call them sulky's do they both mean the same thing:)

9. SUGAR_CUT_MARK

SUGAR_CUT_MARK LawnSite Member

rookie i believe "velke" is a brand of sulky

10. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

That Toro price seems about in line with what I was seeing when I was checking prices. I own a 32" fixed deck toro and have been very pleased. I've owned 5 other Toro wb's over the years and they've been good mowers. I love the T bar steering system. On a belt drive, I can't imagine wanting to use pistol grips like the Scag uses. But to each his own.

What kind of grasses and mowing heights will you be handling? The knock of fixed decks is the somewhat limited height range w/o breaking out the tool box, and the messy and slightly more difficult use of caster spacers to change mowing height. The fixed decks also tend to scalp a little more easily in the bigger sizes, from what I hear. 36" or below I'd say the fixed is not a problem at all.

I've used both two wheel and one wheel velke and I am much more comfortable with the one-wheel. The two wheel just jostled me around too much on uneven ground and made steering harder with the t bar system.
    $250 is about right, but check Ebay for new units for a little less, or even used ones. I can zip around great on the velke, but it does leave a wheel mark down the middle of your stripes on cool season turf. Sometimes that matters, sometimes it doesnt'.

If you know someone in the biz who can help you check it out for problems, you might be able to find a good used floating deck unit for sale, but this time of year that might not be easy.

If you're on a budget or working part time, I think a single wheel velke and the Toro 48" would be a good combo.