1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Wb belt drive transmission troubles

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by green-pa, Oct 12, 2009.

1. green-pa

green-pa LawnSite Senior Member

Can low pressure tires on velky and or mower be detrimental on a transmission of a belt drive walk behind? If so, y?
  2. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

If you try to hand push a wb (not running) over grass at recommended psi and at low psi, you will find it is harder to push at low psi.

The load is increased but I doubt the increase is significant enough to decrease transmission life by much.

I run a little low on psi for the sulky for a softer ride for the knees.
  3. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

Short answer - Yes.

Increased drive train pressure, decreased belt, tire and transmission life are real possibilities.

Well paid engineers design these machines to operate with-in a specific performance envelope - do you really think they don't know what they are doing?
  4. SangerLawn

SangerLawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from indiana

Also…mower will not run straight putting more strain on one side of transmission then the other. This wears out breaks, belts, bearing, and the tranny
  5. Kennedy Landscaping

Kennedy Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

My thoughts exactly.