WB configuration Pistol Grips or other . . . .?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Exact Rototilling, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

I keep hearing some of the posters here make the claim that pistol grips on a walk behind mower can be hard on the hands and wrists. And some of those posters say the Toro T bar system is superior due to less hand and wrist strain. Can anyone explain this in more detail the how & why?

Last Dec I bought a Quick 36 and it's my first shot at a greater productivity. I'm also considering adding a Toro 48 hydro drive T bar or pistol grip hydro drive at some point. This really depends on cash flow from mowing vs. my other services.

Any input greatly appreciated.

:waving:

2. RGM

RGM LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Baltimore Md

I have all ways used the pistol grip when there brand new the springs are tight and can be a bit hard on the hands but you get used to it and build up some great wrists

3. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

It is the positioning of the hands. The t bar on the toro or my preference the ecs on the exmark are more comfortable in the long run. Carpal tunnel is about the only thing that you have to look forward from pistol grips

4. Penscape Landscaping

Penscape Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

T bar all the way!!! I have used them for years and love them! You can not drive these others with one hand when necessary. I ride the velkie and blow curbs with backback in one hand driving with the other. The only thing i have to say is for newbies on a tbar is WATCH YOUR KNUCKLES it will tear them up if you grip the handle. JUst use your thumbs and let it float!

5. Mimowerman

Mimowerman LawnSite Senior Member

I've owned both the pistol grips and t bar on the toro , and honestly I wouldn't own anything other than the t bar or the new t2 system , the pistol grip is hard on your hands, if used for long periods of time. I can understand the pistol grip is very popular, but thats just my input on the situation!

6. TomberLawn

TomberLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I've got a Cub Cadet with pistol grips and so far, it's been fine. I have looked at the Exmarks at the dealer and the ECS is VERY comfortable. I just didn't have $4400 to spend on another mower.

7. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Pistol grips are old school and have been around forever and the T-bar is new school, easier to use and better all the way around.

8. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I have had pistol grips on an Exmark w/b for 10 years. I have never had any problems that some speak about (e.g. hard on hands, carpel tunnel, ...). My machine is only 36" wide, a hydro drive. But, I tend to "drive" it much of the time, making minor adjustments with my hands/arms, not the hydro. The pistol grip gives me good leverage to do that. Also, my machine is quite light in the front, so I can easily lift the front casters by pushing down on the pistols.

Exmark's ECS scares me because the handles are too high for very good leverage, for any of those moves I've discussed. If I have to replace this machine, I would go for pistol grips again. I know, I know ... I am in a minority on this matter. Save your harsh comments for another thread.

9. CuttinUP

CuttinUP LawnSite Senior Member

I have the ecs and they are great. Your hands and wrist are in more of a comfortable and natural position. It is easy to raise the front to go up on to curbs, just pull back on the handles. Another good thing about them is your not as likely to smash your hands between the bars and trees, fences, walls.