WB controls using sit-down sulky

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jay Ray, Oct 9, 2006.

1. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

In your opinion, which large WB (52 to 61") has the best controls for operating comfortably for large props (3-4 acres) from a sit-down sulky?

Does anyone know why Exmark discontinued their sit-down?

2. WildWest

WildWest LawnSite Senior Member

I would think that they would be about the same. I don't think that deck size would have anything to do with the turning capability.

I always wondered if there was a big demand for the sit-sulky. I never saw to many of them. It seems that it woud be a bit uncomfortable to make sharp turns from a seated position. Never tried one, so I can't really say.

3. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

My reason for asking is that I'm going to put 7 or 8k into one mower that has to do everything on acreage including steep ditch banks, which I will walk after dropping the sulky. The only rider I would consider using (maybe) on steep banks would be a 3 wheeler. There isn't enough budget for that or a Kut-Kwik.

I tried using an old low-slung Murray that I built side seat pads off to the side of the main seat, to use more of my weight to compensate on banks and still came close to losing it a couple of times. After that I walked them. No way would I risk a Z and me.

I like the Turf Tracer Ultra-Cut and the ECS is great on a stand-up sulky, but don't know what it is like sitting. But I want to look at Scag, Gravely, Toro, Lesco, and Husqvarna as these have dealers within 60 miles. I'm not considering the Deere 54" 7 iron because it is so difficult to hook up a sulky.