WB Digging up turf

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by D&M Lawn & Snow, May 10, 2003.

1. D&M Lawn & Snow

D&M Lawn & Snow LawnSite Member

I've been visiting this forum for about a year now and have gathered much info on the lawn business. Thank you to all who have posted and replied here! This is my first post and question. I have recently bought a 15HP 48" Exmark WB belt drive and I am experiencing some turf being dug up as I make 180 turns. Is this just a matter of making wider turns or is there a way of keeping that zero turn without ripping up the grass? Any advise is appreciated!:)
  2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Get rid of that belt drive and get yourself a hydro unit asap...then you won't have that problem because as you turn, one tire can be going backwards while the other one is going forward.

End of problem leaving "divots".

from AL

...unless you buy a Ferris SD hydro.
  4. D&M Lawn & Snow

D&M Lawn & Snow LawnSite Member

I was looking for a cheaper solution to the problem. I can't afford to spend the $5400 right now, but thanks just the same!
  5. mowngrow

mowngrow LawnSite Senior Member

slow down on your turns, that is if you are going fast. this usually helps.
  6. Gr grass n Hi tides

Gr grass n Hi tides LawnSite Bronze Member

Yup, slow waaaaaay down. I've got a 48 hydro wb & it will divot if I try to nail a z turn going 5 mph.
  7. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

learn how to use it. i have 6 walk behinds, and can use anyone of them without leaving a scratch
  8. yourlawnguy

yourlawnguy LawnSite Member

Three point turn is what I do, of course with a gear drive you will have to physically pull it backward. This is what I do with my 36". If you're using a sulke just make wide turns. The trick is to make sure both drive wheels are moving at all times as soon as one stops moving it will tear the turf.
  9. What someting wrong we don't know about with the Ferris?

Easy as pie, almost stop then turn......... Sounds like a waste but it works. I bet the lawns are wet that you are mowing.

Once your tires wear some it will just slide for you.

Try doing as much turning on hard surfaces as much as you can.
  10. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

The inside tire should freewheel during a turn. Then pull it back a little and line yourself up for the next pass. Practice.