WB edger or stick?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobcat175, Feb 27, 2007.

1. bobcat175

bobcat175 LawnSite Senior Member

Does anyone use the WB edgers? Are these normally only used in the spring? Do you mostly use the stick edgers during the season?

Do you use WB edgers on sideway/driveways edges or is there a potential for too much damage to the blade if you hit the concrete/pavers?

I'm looking to purchase one of the two and was wondering which is better to use....right now I just turn the trimmer on edge.
  2. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

if you have something that is really bad (hasn't been edged in years), i say use the wb. if you are doing weekly work, the stick edger is the way to go. and you'll get a lot of people saying to just use your trimmer to edge.
  3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I have taken way too much time and typed out this answer way too many times. Do a SEARCH using a few key words, and even do one with my name, and yo will find a great reply(s) and explanation to this question.
  4. bobcat175

bobcat175 LawnSite Senior Member

Yes thanks - I've read a bunch....basically tells me to get a stick....I was more concerned with the use on sidewalks/driveways vs. beds where there is a hard surface along the edge namely pavers/bricks...would the blade damage the pavers/bricks.....I'm only using a trimmer right now so I don't have that potential issue.
  5. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

That about sums it up!
  6. GreenN'Clean

GreenN'Clean LawnSite Bronze Member

I prefer the stick edger over the wb
  7. cemeteryman

cemeteryman LawnSite Member

I used a stick for a few years, then I tried a wb and I will not go back, of course I am using them on about 1 mile of cemetery roads. If I only had driveways, or a little sidewalk I would use a stick, they are easier to set up, and take up much less room. I do have to be extra careful where there are pavers next to the road because the blade will eat them up.
  8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Our WB and stick edger was put in the shed about 10 years ago and we never missed them from that day. Just too darn much trouble hauling around another piece of equipment when a big trimmer can make nice edges. At least nice enough that we never had one complaint since we stopped using the stick/wb.
  9. JFF

JFF LawnSite Member

Someone will laugh, but I have always done my edging with a weed eater.

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

Well i use a stick every 3 cuts thing about a weed whacker edging is it will tear your face up.