1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

WB engine ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fga, Jan 31, 2004.

1. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

If you were to remove an engine from a WB mower, do you know if you replace it with the same brand engine, would the mounting holes line up? This is a continuation of one of my previuos threads. If i take a B & S engine off a kees WB( i thought it was a scag???) should another B & S engine line up automatically? I didn't rip the blown motor off yet and its so worn I can't make out much info except B & s magnotronic on the the coil pull. I would like price another but have know idea what's on there. any ideas???
  2. matth

matth LawnSite Member

I just recently swapped a blown 16 horse b&s for a ten hosre b&s, . the frame had 2 sets of holes drilled one for the ten and one for the 16. so both engines fit
    also i replaced a blown 4 horse b&s for an 8 horse and withe a little drilling i had a new machine (almost)

My guess would be yes you can replace the engine as long as you get similar sizes and make sure the crankshaft width and lenght are the same, and i assume all motors have standard oem mountings for the engine bolts or you can do some jury-rigging and drill it out to fit

Hope my reply helps remember it is just a guess
  3. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I've switched engines on WB mowers without much problem. Sometimes you have to drill new mounting holes to get the mainshaft in the right position, but that's no big deal. The most important point is getting the mainshaft and clutch in the same spot as the original. I switched out a Kohler for a Kawasaki on a mower one time and had to shim the Kawasaki engine up from deck to get the clutch at the right height, but it was no big deal and it worked great. Other minor problems might be wire harness routing and throttle cable alignments, but you can re-route these in most cases with very little effort.