wb help please

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Nick R, Mar 9, 2004.

1. Nick R

Nick R LawnSite Member
    from wv

Hi, I have already done several searches but still can not find a answer. I need to know what size deck would be better on hills a 36in or 48 in. Some say 36 because it is lighter and some say 48 because of the wider stance. Please help

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Actually, it will depend on the size of the hill and how steep it is. I have props that even a 21" can't do.

3. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

A 48" Hydro!!! At least you will get done fasterLOLOL
    John

4. Nick R

Nick R LawnSite Member
    from wv

I like to thank the two of you who took the time to answer my post. I am a home owner only and it seems like it is hard to get any advise from the professionals. I enjoy using quality tools and am no way trying to learn any secretes. I would never hire some one to do anything for me that I can do myself, so you wouldn't be losing any money any way. Also, I have posted on the homeowners forum, but most of you guys are to good to help. I just find it hard to believe that it is this hard to get advise from someone. Thanks anyway

5. ztoro

ztoro LawnSite Senior Member

I only have a z-500 and I cant mow a hill on the side of my driveway... I tried going down one time and almost took out my neighbors brand new fence.. luck was the only reason I didnt( i do have good z skills though, hahaha)...

My buddy next door has a 48 wb gear and he mow's it for me with no problems. It could be a 35-45 degree grade. He mows it with no problems... I just put some planters in with some pear trees so he now has to go aorund them and he still has no problems....

6. GPDesign1

GPDesign1 LawnSite Senior Member

7. Turf Technologies

Turf Technologies LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

Nick,

Maybe us professionals have been working today and have yet to respond. As far as your question goes I have a few lawns that have some steep little hills and my WB has a hard time handling the slopes, so im not sure what to say.

8. Dave655

Dave655 LawnSite Member

I have a 48" snapper 15hp kawasaki belt drive, and it does wonderful on steep hills.

9. DJL

DJL LawnSite Member

Nick,

I would answer but you said 'thanks anyway'. So, you're welcome.

10. ztoro

ztoro LawnSite Senior Member

nick i think either way you will be fine.. get the 48 if you have a lot of grass to cut... Thats just my anus* I mean opinion

*Quote from DJL