wb leaf blower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mr. k, Jul 15, 2003.

1. mr. k

mr. k LawnSite Member

Has anyone used a wb blower. If so are they worth the $$. I am going to do mostly leaves with it. Any inputr would be great. Thanks.

Rich

2. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Rich,
    WB blowers are around 2.2K to 2.5K and are not real manueverable, which is why most guys don't buy them. I bought a Selbro blower that fits on my WB. You take off the deck and bolt on the blower. It's around 1.3K and gives you the manueverable of the WB you already have, especially if it's a hydro. Also, as in my case, I was able change pulleys and increase the speed of the blower to match the power of my 25hp Kaw on my WB. You wanna talk about power, whew!!! I'm super happy with the Selbro, it was only $1,200 on sale, and is a joy to use, especially up and down hills.
    Pete

3. GreenMachine102

GreenMachine102 LawnSite Member

Whats WB?

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

WB = Walk Behind.
    Pete, A walk behind blower is between 2.2 and 2.5 k? Ouch! I'm not sure where that is, but around here, you can buy the best, - a Little Wonder, for around 800 bucks. That's the 8 hp. To answer the first question, yes, they are an excellent investment, depending on that you're going to do with them For Fall cleanup, they are fantastic, not just for moving leaves, but tyhey can c;ear suff right out from under certain trees (like Spruces) that would otherwise be inaccessible. For lot sweeps and such, they are an asset, as well. I do have to say, though, that depending on what you're using to mow with, it may not be that advantagious to purchase one of these. What I mean, is, for instance, if you have a mower like a lazer, you can move leaves about as fast with that as with a wb blower. Using forward-reverse directions, the deck just moves them more thoroughly and doesn't really leave anything that is so easily done with the blower. This is only the heavier stuff though, after they get built up quite a bit. For the lighter stuff however, a blower just moves them so much farther per stroke, that it makes a big difference. Now me, personally, I use both. I have a "blower buggy" mad by JRCO, and this think is a WORKSAVER! I have all that airpower at fingertip control. Once I get the little stuff built up a bit, I then use the mower deck to move them. This also grinds them up, reducing the bulk to atleast 1/10 of what it would normally be. Then, we are just hauling out about the equivalency of dust. Great stuff!;)

5. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Sorry... being out in left field and way ahead of myself, I assumed (yeah, me an @$$hole) that you meant a "self propelled" WB blower. The reason for that is again, I just assumed (yes, fill in the blank) you already knew how great the "normal" push style blowers were and wanted to step up to what the "bigboys" are using and were unsure if it was worth it. Again, sorry, I assumed a bit too much.....
    Pete

6. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I've never heard of a self propelled leaf blower. Most of what I've seen around my area is LW blowers, or knockoffs of that type, push blowers. I don't have one, but have been thinking about one for this year. From what I've seen, they work pretty damned good and are more than worth the investment. They go for about $800 around here, too.

7. mr. k

mr. k LawnSite Member

Thanks guys for all of your time and inputs. I guess I should have been a little more specific in my original post. It sounds as if a Little Wonder would be money well spent and that way I won't go overboard with $$ equipment right off the bat. Well off to shop around. Thanks again guys.

Rich

8. Bruce

Bruce LawnSite Member
    from MN

I have a 5 hp Little Wonder It works great for moving piles of leaves. But would rather use back pack blowers for doing yards if i ever buy another one I would get the biggest engine they have though. Bruce

9. mr. k

mr. k LawnSite Member

Thanks Bruce for the input. I'll probably go with the 9 or 10 hp model when i go to purchase one.

10. Cooper Landscaping

Cooper Landscaping LawnSite Member

Mr. K
    Im gunna have to agree with Bruce here. In my first year i bought a 5hp Little Wonder with the idea "who would ever need more than that" haha i soon learned. Definitely go with the 9 or 10 hp. You wont regret that purchase...that is unless you get the 5hp lol

-Coop