1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

WB leaf blowers that suck?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gogetter, Oct 11, 2003.

1. gogetter

gogetter Banned

I seem to recall there being talk about walk behind leaf blowers that could be converted to vacuums. Is there anything on the market like this today, or was this a 'back in the day" thing?

just curious.
  2. mike9497

mike9497 LawnSite Senior Member

little wonder made a vac system at one time for there leaf blowers.stopped making it years ago because the impelers were not strong enough.they were bending
  3. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

;) I thought the littel wonder was still making that unit, Im gonna check this out, heck why not use a thicker or stronger impeller....Marks Mowing Service
  4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

They don't make it anymore. Actually, the reason they stopped, was more of a liabilty issue. These things would suck up all sorts of thing and wing 'em. They would suck up bottles for instance, and send glass flying. I was told this by a rep from the factory. I've talked to several people that owned these, but never to anyone that ended up with a bent impeller. I guess it could happen though, if you hit the right thing.
  5. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

I think that they still make the blower but not the vac attachment for it.
  6. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

I have an electric leaf blower that has a vac attachment. I use it all the time for leaf cleanups. Jus set it up with the hose in a bag or can and blow everything right to the vac. I also saw this thing on TV that you can hook up to your mower, it mulches and a long hose runs into a big square nylon bag that pulls along, which also dumps and you can fold everything up and put it on the wall.
  7. gogetter

gogetter Banned

The reason I asked about this was because after seeing BHB's "homemade" truck loader, I got to thinking (uh-oh!), that perhaps with a little ingenuity, a walk behind blower could be converted into a truck loader.

Truck loaders are expensive, and I'm sure if you do a LOT of clean ups, they are worth it.

But I don't do that many clean ups (yet), and used walk behind blowers are pretty affordable, so I thought maybe I could make something to "get me by" for a couple seasons until I could justify buying a true, dedicated truck loader.

Cut away the wheels (maybe, or maybe keep them on for moving it when need be), cut away the handle. Weld it to a frame of some sort so it can be mounted on trailer and add an intake hose and a discharge chute.

Ideally, if the impeller housing could be rotated 90 degrees so that the discharge chute is pointing upwards, thus one less bend in the chute.

I figure the whole thing could be put together for maybe $600-700.
    I have seen decent used Little Wonder blowers for around $400-500. Add another $200-300 for hose, chute to truck, connections, frame for mounting it to, etc.

Any thoughts? Better yet, anyone done it already?
  8. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Giant-vac still makes blowers with "metal impellers, which is the main reason others don't offer a vac attachment hose. And, G-V still offers the vac hose as an option. I used one for years. We'd run the leaves through the blower (vacuum) and it would reduce the amount of leaves 3 or 4 times.
  9. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Thanks Pete. I see that those Giant Vac's use a 1/4" steel impeller.
    My Little Wonder uses 10 gauge steel. I'm not sure how "gauge" translates into inches?

The only problem I see with the optional hose kit that they offer for the GV's is that the hose diameter for the intake is small, (I forget if it said 5" or 6"). The intake opening on the unit is much bigger (I think it said 15"?). So it would make more sense to buy larger hose from another source (BHB linked a source for a truck loader hose supplier in one of his posts) and then "rig" it somehow to fit.
    Something like a 10" diameter intake hose would be great (or at least 8").

Thanks again for the input.
  10. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I have one Gogetter.

Don't use it anymore though. I really hate leaf season :(

Still use the Little Wonder though. 8hp Briggs. Sucked up some serious rocks and stuff. Impeller is slightly nicked here and there, but no bent metal. Those impellers were TOUGH stuff.

Original hoses only lasted 2 seasons. The commercial ones I replaced them with are still intact.

Did great on dry leaves, but sticks would give it fits. It had a 10' intake hose and a 20' er that connected to the deflector. I had a leaf box and the hose fit into that. Problem was it took way too long to UNLOAD a non dumping pickup full of VERY finely shred up leaves.

WHile the newer stand alone leaf loaders are WAY better, this Little thing really sucked up well for its dual purpose design.