WB lines???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AuburnGuy, Jul 9, 2003.

1. AuburnGuy

AuburnGuy LawnSite Senior Member

This is my first year in the biz. I need advice on lines. I have a Toro 36' WB. I can make straight lines, but the problem is turning around. Everything is fine when I can make turns in a driveway or street and just come back in the yard and continue with the next line, but if i'm next to the house or a flowerbed and i need to turn, its always obvious by the way the grass is cut i'm doing a 180' turn, where as using a 21' mower you can just tilt it up and turn around. Am I doing something wrong or is that just something you deal with with a walk behind?

2. GeorgiaGrassMan

GeorgiaGrassMan LawnSite Member

Your doing Bermudagrass? If so, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Do what's most productive.

3. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

it takes a little practice to get it down to a (almost) true zero turn. i run a border around most lawns to cover up my turns.

4. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

When turning, always make BOTH back wheels roll. If turning left, make sure left tire is rolling backwards while you're spinning the right tires around. Takes some practice, but you won't leave divots once you get the hang of it. Also, as stated, make your passes and then do one or two laps around outside perimeter to hide turn marks and any missed grass.

5. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Is that a belt drive or hydro drive mower AuburnGuy? Makes a difference in how you handle the machine through turns. What I like best is to take off mowing without making a perimeter pass, going back and forth as we would striping up north, then when done mowing go and make your perimeter pass to frame it all in and clean up the turn marks. If it's dry then I like to turn around in driveway and road if drive is blacktop and road is not busy. This way your stripes seem to go right to the edges and you won't have to make a cleanup pass. You usually will get grass in the road and drive anyway (just make sure and blow it back in the yard).

6. AuburnGuy

I'm cutting Bermuda grass and it is a belt drive. What would be the difference in the belt and they hydro in turning?

7. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

With a belt drive you can make small circular turns or you can lock it up completely (making what is called a divot, or tear in the lawn, not recommended!) or you can clutch the inside turn wheel just enough so the brake does not engage but the belt is loose, then manually pull back on that side of the machine to do a "true zero turn". A true zero turn is with one wheel going backward while the other one goes forward. A hydro drive mower can do a true zero turn without all the manhandling. There are a couple single hydro drives (Ferris makes the only one I know of) which turn more like a belt drive I think. Ferris makes a dual drive also which is like everyone else has (Scag eXmark, Toro etc.) I've never been able to pull back one side of the machine with a belt drive, pistol grip or T bar when I've tried them. Mine's a hydro so I don't worry about it but when I've used belt drives I just made small circular turns then turned back the other way to straighten up. If the deck is 48" or 52" then the deck overlap means you don't usually have to straighten it out as much as with a 32 or 36".

Make any sense?

8. AuburnGuy

Thanks guys. For the most part I think I'm doing it right. I will try to work with it and see what i can do based on your advice. Sounds like a hydro might work better, but being new i can't justify the cost. I appreciate all the info.

9. SpudsM15

SpudsM15 LawnSite Senior Member

auburnguy, you need to try out a hydro mower it'll make your life easier and your work faster.

10. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

AuburnGuy, my primary mower is a 36" belt wb. I cut Bermuda and Zoysia. When turning at the end of the line, its usually noticeable, not so much from the tires, but from the deck turning (blade marks, so to speak). Just make your lines FIRST, then go around the perimter twice SECOND. Why do you guys go around the perimeter first, and then again when finishing?