1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

wb maintenance

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Island Lawn, Feb 16, 2001.

1. Island Lawn

Island Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I gotta 48".
    How do I change the oil? What special tools will I need?
    Do I need to tilt the wb at all?

What is the best/safest way to get under my deck to clean it and change blades?

I have a 5x10 open trailer. What is the best way to strap my wb down. I gotta couple of ratchet straps. I,m not sure about their placement, or even if they are the best idea.
    I use them to secure the front of the wb and i rely on the wb's parking brake to secure the rear wheels.

BUT, it still jumps around a bit.

As always, I greatly appreciate any suggestions/criticisims

2. Island wrote:

>What is the best/safest way to get under my deck to clean it and change blades?

Steel car ramps.
  3. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

You sound like me a few years ago. Changing the oil is easy. Pull the drain plug and filter, allow to drain install drain plug and filter then fill with the correct AMOUNT AND VISCOSITY of oil. Tools needed-1 wrench. You don't need to tilt it but sometimes I put a 2x4 under the tire opposite of the drain plug so that last little bit of oil drains. The best way to clean under the deck and change blades is to drive the WB partially up the gate on your trailer allowing one wheel to hang off the side and set the brake or put it in gear and chock the rear wheels. Then you can climb under easily. Like Stone said ramps are ok but they get in the way when I try to take off the blades unlike when I drive it up my trailer gate. As for your mower jumping around, get used to it. Hopefully your trailer has at least 1 foot sides so it won't jump off the trailer all together. But I have found no problem with putting the WB's in gear or using the brake, no straps needed.
  4. Barley let me explain about the ramps.

What you do is back the machine up the ramps then push the handle to the ground. I usually lean one of my stand on sulkys against the handle to the deck stays up in the air so one can scape and change blades.

One can also position the car ramps at the back edge of the trailer and then use a tie strap to the mech gate to hold the handle down.
  5. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

I use straps around the handle attached to the floor to raise it up.
  6. cst51

cst51 LawnSite Member

The decks on wb's aren't that heavy. i just prop the front up with a 2x4 and get on my back and scrape the underneath and change the blades. If the front comes up a little while cleaning underneath, i just hold it up until i can get the 2x4 under it again. They are not heavy at all!!!! I put a floor jack under the deck opposite the side of the oil drain plug and let the oil drain for 5-10 minutes while i clean the air filter sponge and undo the oil filter. I can do all of this (change blades, oil, filters and clean under deck in about 25 minutes per machine)---That includes sharpening blades too.
  7. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

As for changing oil i do jack up my right side a little so all the oil will drain. Then just lower it and replace the drain plug,with a little oil on your finger put it on the rubber filter seal,then screw on the filter and add the proper amount of oil. As for changing blades i just use a floor jack and raise the front and take off the old, put on the new sharpend blades and you ready to hit the grass. Marks Mowing Service
  8. lawman

lawman LawnSite Member

Change the oil, wrench oil wrench and a bucket to put the oil in. Remember to change the oil filter. Car jack are the cheapest and saftest way to change the blades and straps will work fine to tie down your wb. Pull it to the front of your trailer and strap it down so it can not roll backward.
  9. Chopper Lover

Chopper Lover LawnSite Senior Member

Strap it down. Not just to keep it from bouncing, but to keep it on the trailer.

Think about this...

I have seen a 1500# Bass Boats shoot off a trailer into the back of the pickup that was towing it because of an accident. I have seen a 21" Lawnboy go through the back window of a pickup that was involved in a rear end collision...

What about your mower?

What is going to happen if you have to make an extreme evasive maneuver to avoid an accident or worse, you are involved in one? Depending on the speed you are traveling any mower, trimmer, blower, etc., on a trailer can become a projectile!

Think of the replacement cost and down time. Is it worth not spending $20 on straps and a minute in time at each stop to not secure your bread and butter?

What about the liability? Do you think gravity will just hold your mower there? Most times it will, but what if your mower leaves your trailer and goes through a car window or into a crowded bus stop what will happen? When the investigation occurs it is learned your load was not secured. What will that cost? Will your insurance even come close to paying off the lawsuit that is sure to come? At least if it is strapped down you can show there was no gross negligence.

Take a few minutes and strap your stuff down. Most straps are rated for at least 900# and you can get a 4 pack for less than $20. Secure it to something solid, like the trailer frame work. That should secure your mower in place.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!

10. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

You can buy a small wench for 15 dollars. Mount it on the wall and then put a pulley from a rafter in your garage or shop. (Secured properly of course) Bring the cable from the wench, over the pulley and down to the mower. I strap mine around a front castor or framework with a hook around and back onto the mower. I never have to worry about it dropping or falling. I also have a chain mounted from the rafter to my mower after pulleyed as a secondary safety. No jacks, ramps, special lift dealies to get in my way. I have the full underside of the mower exposed for me to work on. I have heard that this will work for lazers too but that it should be doubled up atleast. Dont quote me on that though.