1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

WB mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by big_country, Feb 6, 2005.

1. big_country

big_country LawnSite Member

I am in need of a smaller WB such as a 36" for fenced and smaller areas I can't get my 61" ZTR in. I was wanting some input on some of the best brands on the market, never have dealt with WB. Also which is the way to go belt or hydro? It will not get used that much, just a few hours a week if that helps with any opinions.
  2. The landscaper

The landscaper LawnSite Senior Member

Seems like your best bet would be to just find a goood used belt drive one. I am sure you can find a good one priced fairly cheap.
  3. atproperty

atproperty LawnSite Member

I would usually say hydro but if you will barely use it save the money and buy belt unless there is potential for growth where you may use the walk behind more. Runon sentence but its's okay i'm a landscaper not a professor. Hydros are awesome and a pleasure to use. Maybe go with a used hydro, ecspecially if you will be mowing on a hill. If its flat you are fine with a belt. Belts suck in the rain and you can get into messy situations. Hope I helped.
  4. newbomb

newbomb LawnSite Senior Member

You can pick up a good used exmark metro almost any where. Get a 36" or even a 32" just be sure you get one with the right motor. You want a kohler or kawasaki with at least 12 hp. These motors have oil pumps that keep them lubricated on hills. Other motors like B/S and Tecumseh use splash oil systems and will fry quickly on hills. Also a belt drive is just fine especially if you are going to use it occasionally. Easy to repair and cheaper too. New these units are around $2,500 but you could find a clean used one for $1,500 any where. If you have cash who knows what a deal you could make. If gates are the issue I would look for a 32" some gates here are even too tight for 36".

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Just bought a simplicity 34 inch cut wb
  6. big_country

Thanks for the input. Does the exmark metro strip good and have a good quality cut? Also what is the difference in the floating and fixed deck?
  7. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Big Country, sounds like the Better Quick 36 mower ight be a good option for you to look at.

It's sort of in betwen a belt drive and a hydro, but it costs about the same as a belt drive. It's a single hydro, but operates easier then a belt drive.
    Yet costs a good bit less then a regular full on, dual hydro.

Click on their banner at the top of the page.
  8. tfilbert

tfilbert LawnSite Member

I use a 32" metro for small areas and have been very happy with the cut and quality. I bought a sulky and mulch kit for it and have been amazed at how well it does. Stripes nice but then again it doesn't have a roller behind it. Only complaint is the belts loose a lot of grip in heavy rain. Exmark has been good to me. My only other comment is when you have a 36" or 32" mower you will use it much more than you think. I have sent it out for the day as a primary mower often and the production is pretty good. I would recommend to anyone.
  9. big_country

About the decks, is it hard and time consuming to adjust the height on the fix deck? What is the price and cut difference? What is the price range for a exmark metro?
  10. rlong97150

rlong97150 LawnSite Member

If you are still interested, I have a John Deere GS30 that I will be selling. 36 inch gear drive WB. Like new condition, low hours.New never used Jungle Jim Sulky. Extra blades, mulch kit, bagger kit. Delivery possible as my job takes me from Illinois to Virignia every month. I am not a commercial mower, just mow a large lawn. I will take some pics of everything when I am home next.

You can contact me at rlong@cell1net.net