wb only......??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CleanCutMowers, Aug 27, 2007.

1. CleanCutMowers

CleanCutMowers LawnSite Member
    from SE MO

There is an LCO in town who has almost alll the restaurants and big banks (alot of commercial)and some residential. All they use is wb's They have 2 to 3 crews and no ztr's. My question is anyone else only run walk behinds and why?
  2. Frosty03

Frosty03 LawnSite Member

We have a similiar thing here. A wb will leave a better cut usually and is less weight on the turf, therefore less rutting. To be honest, nothing else I have leaves a cut like my 36" wb Exmark.

My thoughts on those restaurants and banks, there are proabably a lot of curbs to hop up on as well as a lot of tight turning. The wb is in it's element there and a ztr is best suited for more open areas.
  3. bigtex

bigtex LawnSite Member
    from ma

sometimes $, you can get a BRAND NEW wb for half the price of a rider and it does the same thing. and as far as the big areas go, you just sweat it out.
  4. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

We do lots of road fronts with slopes and mow around lakes and such. WB's can get across a ditch, easier to pull out when stuck and handle slopes and more variety of terrains than most anything else. Plus, not having any riders keeps my workers from fighting over who gets it.
  5. causalitist

causalitist LawnSite Senior Member

2 1/2 48" walkbehinds for the price of one 52" rider.. i dont like sitting THAT much more than standing on a sulkie. really easy to work on .. etc
  6. Captain Pooby

Captain Pooby LawnSite Member

Cheaper, easier to maintain,easier on gas, in the case of the Quick 36, MUCH MUCH smaller and lighter, can be used out of the bed of a pickup...

Can be converted into a wheelbarrow...
  7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

And lets face it...All of us that have ran both over the years, know that wb's can be and are faster in some conditions and smaller areas than Z's.
  8. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

I would not be in the business if I had to use WB's.