WB or Stand On ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Turf Dancer, Sep 2, 2002.

1. Turf Dancer

Turf Dancer LawnSite Senior Member

I have thought this subject out and even had a demo for a day with Great Dane Scampers and Super Surfers 36" on both as well as a 52" SS. I am trying to figure out what to do as far as a bigger machine ? I have even thought about maybe a Great Dane Gateway ? Any input on this subject would help ! I have to have a 36" as almost every lawn here has at least a back yard gate that is 36" so a zero won't fit through and I want to get the most use from the machine I get next ! Also this town is mostly built on hills so have a machine that is somewhat stable on hills would be a plus! Thanks
  2. KLMlawn

KLMlawn LawnSite Senior Member

Look at either a Wright Stander or an Exmark Turf Tracer HP, the difference is fixed deck as opposed to floating, both come in 36" decks and are hydros. Wright is more compact, and Exmark offerts better mulching capabilities. I know as fact, that the Stander will do well on hills and cuts and stripes well in Rye/Blue/Fecue lawns and does a great job on Zoysia also.
    Although you will have to buy a Velkie or some other riding attatchment in order to make the Exmark as productive as possible and I would recommend an in-line or fixed riding attatchment as opposed to a trailering type if you are using a hydro ... much better control and stability.
    Due to the design, GD is not that stable on hills and if a gateway id what you are looking for, tryt just adding a Flex deck to the Exmark Turf Tracer HP and you can still get thru just about any gate and still get a 54" cut .... great thing isn't it ...:D
  3. gravedigger5

gravedigger5 LawnSite Senior Member

Love my wb for backyard gates, steep hills and ditchbanks. I tried a GD SS at the dealer, didn't feel real comfy on it, though. As far as holding steep hills I think they would be spookier than most sit down ztr's. JMHO Marc

Are We Having Fun Yet???:blob1:
  4. lrose2

lrose2 LawnSite Member

Might take a look at the Hustler Gateway. It appears that it is a machine that would fit your needs.
  5. lrose2

lrose2 LawnSite Member

My error. It's called the Hustler Gatemaster!