WB or Walker B side discharge 18 hp

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by TSG, Jan 21, 2007.

1. TSG

TSG LawnSite Senior Member

Hi Folks
    Thanks in advance for your time.
    I already own an Xmark 52 ZTR and love it
    I am looking for a 48" someting ??
    I have wrist/forarm issure and really like the Walker B side discharge
    How does this compare to a TT48
    Is one that much better on hills/Cut ext......
    Any feedback is appreciated
    Thanks
    Alan

2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

The walker decks for that mower have a slow blade speed and the decks are shallower then your use to. Please demo before you buy. I do like that mower allot but its the decks and the lower HP's that keep me away. I have heard that they are upping the hp"s for 07 but i'm not sure.

3. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

You asked about hills, A WB is 10x better than a Walker on hills, you already have the ZTR, seems like a Walker would be redundant. If your wrists can handle the ECS system, then I'd go with the WB, better for your needs and a lot lest $$$$.

4. TSG

Thats what I thought, but the $$$$ is only a cpl hundrew dollars more and they
    are much more manoverable than my Xmark.
    My thought was,,,,,why walk,,,,but if it doesnt get it done oon hills,
    there is no choice
    Thanks,,,,keep it coming
    Alan

5. CA CLT

CA CLT LawnSite Member

Why do you need a 48" mower when you have a 52"? It doesn't seem like a diverse enough mix. Not to brag, but I've done more in 1 week with 2 21" and 1 36" and 2 other men than most operators will ever experience. I tested a Walker back then, but to gain that little bit of efficency didn't justify the huge expense. It would seem to me that if you are going to invest in a smaller mower than your 52", you might want to consider a 36" that can get through gates and into tighter places. Just my $.02.

6. TSG

I was looking at the ferris 36 yesterday, because that is my thought also,
    The Issue is that 2 on my commercial properties are fairly big and the extra 48 could help. Then would only need to upgrade my 21.
    I didn't like the 36,,,,not good service around here,,,,any other suggestions
    on a good 36
    sorry for going sideways on this topic
    Alan

7. John Gamba

from ct

If you put more weight on the back end of you lazer hp, it will do allot better on hills

8. CA CLT

CA CLT LawnSite Member

The Quick 36 by Better Outdoor is the best thing since sliced bread if you ask me. $2600 base price, and right at $3000 with catcher and spare parts for a very compact hydro 36". I don't have one yet, but I will within a month or two.

We had a 48" back int he day, but I found it wasn't worth hauling because we had to rely more on the 21s, as there were so many places we couldn't get the 48 into in shopping centers, apartments, as well as residentials. I also found that with overlap you might be saving 8 or 9 " of cutting every pass compared to the 36". The bigger mower was slower turning, so the productivity of the two was nearly the same. I have nothing against bigger mowers, but if I already had a 52 I would be looking for something more versatile. Good luck!

9. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

I like the Toro T-bar for a 36". I like the belt drive units. Do a search on here and you will see that these mowers pack a lot of bang for your buck for under $3k. They are tanks, my oldest has about 3500hrs.
    I have read from a few posters that the Q36 is hard on wrists, don't know, never tried one. Try a belt drive T-bar, I bet you'll like it. 15 hp kawi, 6+mph mowing speed, Turboforce deck. Can't beat it for under $3k. I doubt you could beat it for under $4k.

10. John Gamba

from ct

LT are theses 07 prices with the TF deck?????