WB or ZT Advice Needed for back issues...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jpb, Apr 9, 2006.

1. jpb

jpb LawnSite Member

Hi,

With the exception of a minor lower back issue, I'm quite fit, not fragile and capable of doing just about any physical work. I just need to be smart about how and what I do as it relates to my back. For example, I can lift a heavy item but if I lift/twist it the wrong way then I'm in trouble. With that being said...

I need to get a mower to cut my roughly 1 acre of grass which includes several trees and flower beds. My instinct is to get a ZT but after visiting several dealers they all pushed me towards a commercial grade WB for durability and resale value. My price range is currently 3-3.5k but I'm willing to extend that if required. With this price range I'm looking at the Gravely 16 or 1840 or Simplicity Javelin ZTs and the Exmark Metro (belt) or Gravely Pro G WBs. (I'm going to look at Scag as well). The thing that concerns me about the belt driven WBs is that, apparently, they don't have the reverse and general maneuverability strengths of the hydro WBs. Given my back, I wonder how big an issue that would be. In terms of resale I prefer the Exmark Phazer but it’s 1-2k more than the Gravely/Simplicity and is roughly equivalent in terms of size/power/capability. I know Exmark is very favorably regarded but it seems like the Exmark name is playing into the price. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I would advise not getting a wb if you have problems with your back that twisting or swiveling your hips would aggravate (using a stand on sulky, for example). I use one part of the time myself but there have been moments when i've hit an object and almost gone over the bars, or took a turn wrong and got jerked around more than I'd want. The belt drives also require more physical effort than a ztr, especially in the shoulders and back. I can feel the difference in my body on the days I use the wb a lot.

For an acre residence with a budget limit I'd consider a Hustler mini fastrack in new mowers, but it's probably still a little above your limit.

Your best bet would be a decent used commercial ZTR. A 44"/17hp would do for home use. $3500 would find one with plenty of life left in it.

3. Greenatthis

Greenatthis LawnSite Member
    from Texas

my scags tiger cub is like sitting in a recliner

4. jpb

jpb LawnSite Member

brucec32, thanks for your feedback.