WB or ZTR for 4 acres

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Jimmy Bell, Apr 11, 2001.

1. Jimmy Bell

Jimmy Bell LawnSite Member

I have 4 acres of hilly, bumpy yard to cut. Mostly weeds and a little fescue, trying Bermuda on 1 acre soon. Currently I use a Deere GT225, 15 HP Kohler, 42" cut. It cuts fine but it takes about 3 hours to finish. I'm thinking about selling it and getting a Toro WB 52", 17 HP or the new Toro Time Saver Z, 52" 17HP. The Toro dealer suggests the Z over the WB because in his words: Cheaper, faster, ride instead of walk/velke, and since I'm only cutting my yard it should last just as long. I am really confused! I want a beautiful cut and I know the WB has a 18K+ blade tip speed - no info on the Z, I might need to pull a cart or aerator - Z could do that. Anyway - I figure I could get $2,200 or better for the Deere (2 years old and VERY clean- $3,550 new)and I'll just make up the difference. All my life I've wanted a nice lawn, I need something that will get me through mowing quick and let me work on the problem areas more. Oh yeah, I live out in the boonies - all yard work is done by me alone! Thanks for your help.
  2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Homeowner with 4 acres could use a wb. The price of a Z is much more. WB with a sulky will get the job done quickly.
  3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Something to consider is the entry level 50" Dixie Chopper that is on special for $4995, which is $1000 off. It has the same hydraulics that the top of the line machines use. I saw it advertised in lawn magazines and it's the same price the first Choppers cost 20 years ago. I think it's the X1701 Estate model. It just doesn't have all the bells and whistles, but from what I'v heard, it cuts great. Check one out while you are demoing. I've run Choppers for the past 7 years and they have held up great and cut nice too. Check my website for lawn pictures for the cut quality. Click my red house.
  4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Eric, I forgot about that. I saw them at the dixie dealer last fall. For a homeowner it would be a great deal. About the same price as a hydro wb.

5. Skookum

Skookum LawnSite Senior Member

Before you settle on a ZTR, checkout a Toro 120 groundmaster. It is those funny looking mowers that look like a tractor arse backwards with the deck out front. I seen one last year at a dealer for $4,500. You can get a 52" deck and the speed will be about 8 mph, I think. I mow three acres in an hour at about that speed with my 52" ZTR. It would handle hilly stuff better than a ZTR. You get a steering wheel instead of those sticks which makes one handed operation much easier. You can get a cab, plow, snow thrower, pull attachments, etc.. You still have the ease and power of a tractor.

They will give you a qaulity cut. You will not have a ZTR, but the uncut area is like 5-8 inch circle. You will turn just as fast as any ZTR! If you try both a ZTR and a Groundmaster, I'll bet you'll like the steering wheel better than using those sticks.

Just a thought!
  6. Jimmy Bell

Jimmy Bell LawnSite Member

Thanks guys, Eric - the only Dixie Chopper dealer in my area doesn't carry the X1701 - he can order it and he said the price would be $5,695.00. He also said I'd be better off getting the X1901 that he had in stock for $5.995.00. Now,I really didn't want to go over 5K - but damn, that's one heck of a mower for 6K! I have the day off and I plan on putting the Deere in the paper and going to look at Toro and Dixie. Problem is - my 2 daughters, ages 3and 6 are going with me. Scott, is the Ground Master outfront mower better than that piece of crap Deere F525? My neighbor had one of those and it stayed in the shop more than the yard! I still think that the Toro Time Saver Z (homeowner ZTR) might be the best deal, at least on paper it sounds good. Local Toro guy has one 52" with 17 Kohler for $4,695.00. It has dual hydros, 5 gallon tank, 6.5 mph and the only thing I don't like about it is that hot black seat! Why can't they use grey or off-white! I worry about the blade speed might not be near as fast as the walk behind and I should go ahead and get that. I haven't been this confused in years! This was my first post on Lawnsite and I thank you guys for helping me out, I respect all you lawn care folks and wish I was in your industry. Maybe in 20 years when I retire I will be - see I don't plan on sitting on the porch letting my brain rot like my dad, no sir, I'm going to keep busy till the day I checkout- like my granddad did!
  7. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

You should get a copy of Turf Mag or Pro mag and show this chopper dealer the dixie ad. They are advertising at the $4995 price. I believe I would insist on that price. You can easily prove it!
  8. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

knowing what i know now.if i had to look at 4 acres every wk a z would have to happen somehow. if you were mowing 4 acres of rough in 3 hrs w 42 inch you was really taken a beaten. i know a man with a cub keydet z. he doesnt ever
    get to ride it as his wife says its her gocart.true