WB or ZTR?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by georgel, Jul 6, 2001.

1. georgel

georgel LawnSite Member

I am in the middle of getting my equipment shopping list together and one of the big ? for me is Walk Behind with a 44-48in. deck or ZTR w/50-60in. deck. I am focusing right now on residential maint. as that is what I have had expoerience with(College summer job). I ran Toro equip. before and my local dealer has a 44in. WB for just over $3K. I am leanign towards the WB and a 21in. pusher. The ZTR prices start at around $5K and since I am starting this thing on a part-time basis I am not sure it will be very profitable investment right now but, perhaps you have other insights...

Thanks

2. Chopper Lover

Chopper Lover LawnSite Senior Member

I have both a walk behind and a ZTR. ZTR's are much faster and in my opinion more productive that a walk behind.

BUT....

Walkbehind's are more affordable when you are first starting out and I can say I never leave home without it... On my "light" days I sometimes just load the 36" walk behind into the truck and use the ramps rather than trailer everything.

My suggestion... Go with the walkbehind and "grow" into a ZTR.

Good Luck,
    Mark

3. dhicks

dhicks Member

I have both and each machine has a specific property to be used on. I can use my Hustler W/B on any property whereas I cannot use my Toro Z on smaller gated properties. Get the WB!

4. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Were all in agreement on this one so far, i say walkbehind too. Use that extra money for advertising or something, and spend the money later on when you need to. You will still have a good trade or backup then with the wb.

5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Most people need a 36" for gated areas. It makes a good all around mower. You should wait on the Z until you grow more. That way you will know exactly what type Z you need for your type of work.

6. sheppard

sheppard LawnSite Senior Member

If your accounts can support you in getting a ZTR then do it! Production and control is not matched with a WB. If you don't have the volume of acct.s yet then get a 36' WB.

Cordially,
    Sheppard

7. Calvin

Calvin Banned
    from Ontario

Sheppard
    Quote,
    "If you don't have the volume of accounts yet than get a 36 WB"

Get a WB also if you are doing smaller tightly landscaped residentials. On these props a WB is much more productive than a z.

8. sheppard

sheppard LawnSite Senior Member

Yep, I sit corrected! Not many tight Apartment complexes around here though.

9. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

I carry both a 52" Snapper walkbehind and a Toro 62" Z-Master and a proline 21" I use my Walkbehind alot because ive got alot of hilly accounts those gaint houses that overlook the Ohio River there like motels, but they pay great. I would start with the Walkbehind they are alittel more versatile around smaller yds and hills I cut 2 acers on one of my clients home it takes around 1and3/4hrs at 80% efficiency but pays 120 per cut and its very hilly. Ill always have a 52" Walk in my equipment list. Marks Mowing Service

10. Chopper Lover

Chopper Lover LawnSite Senior Member

It looks like everyone votes Walk Behind. Now you need to decide what size. I only have a 36" and that has worked well for my Walk Behind size. (I also run a 60" ZTR.)

You have mentioned a 44" or 48" as your choice. Just as a point of interest, I had once been told that a 54" would mow better because it has a faster blade speed than the smaller ones. I have never found any documentation to back this up but thought you could add it to your list of questions for the dealers.

Good Luck & Let us know what you choose.
    Mark