WB or ZTR

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cmar2cmar, Jun 17, 2009.

1. cmar2cmar

cmar2cmar LawnSite Member

I know this has probably been discussed many many times and it seems there is a lot to sort through to get an answer but can someone tell me what the differences is in a WB & ZTR?

I am looking to buy a mower but cant make up my mind. I see many people wanting WB and then others wanting ZTR.

certainly it cant be a matter of person preference.

TIA

2. greenred

greenred LawnSite Senior Member
    from IL

Well I think it might help if you list what you are looking for in a mower. Do you need to go through smaller gates? Do you need to cut steeper hills? Do you have large open areas to mow? Ect. There are a lot of differences between ZTR's and WB's themselves not counting the differences between them. If you know your needs it will make it easier to see which type fits your needs.

3. cmar2cmar

cmar2cmar LawnSite Member

yea, get through standard gates for the back, some decent size, wouldnt call large areas, and a few hills, not too steep.

4. Shasta Lake Landscaping

Shasta Lake Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

What do you use now? whats your budget? Have you considered a stand-on?

5. TheC-Master

TheC-Master LawnSite Senior Member

WB would get the job done for smaller properties witha varitey of shapes and things like that. I can cut large properties very fast because I know how to turn full speed (row skipping saved me time). It'll suit all of your needs. Can do hills and you can walk safely. If it tips, you're not on the machine, you're on the sulky or walking. ZTR's are for larger more level properties. I can do 2 acres in 30-40 minutes depending on conditions. That being said I'll get a ZTR when I have about 30 percent of my yards being fairly large. Stander might work for you but they cost about the same as a ZTR.

6. hockeyman20

hockeyman20 LawnSite Member

Depending on how wide the gates are. I would go with a 48 bobcat. I personally think walk behinds are more versitl. But if you have a big wide open area then go with a nice hustler.

7. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

A WB is cheaper and you can still cut a lot of grass. it all depends on your budget as well

8. SfTD_service_CENTER

SfTD_service_CENTER LawnSite Senior Member

wb also has a nicer cut and leaves less of a wheel mark in a yard. any house that has a maticulas yard that has no stripes or the owner doesnt want them people use wb and they are really nice best yards on the block

9. kaferhaus

kaferhaus LawnSite Bronze Member

If you don't have a lot of accounts or they're all small a WB will do fine. Unless you can run behind it, I wouldn't count on cutting 2 acres in 30-40 minutes though...... just saying.

10. TheC-Master

TheC-Master LawnSite Senior Member

I'm willing to put it to the test. I'll have to take a picture of the time on my phone with before and after on the lawn. I'm serious that my time got down to 31 min... but i had a phone call selling my truck. Or trying to rather. I thought it was about normal. I'll figure a way to get it on here.